Been seeing some awesome fun meetups as of late. Two of my favorite sub-reddits are /r/entrepreneur/ and /r/startups. I thought it might be fun to organize a monthly meetup of nyc redditors that:
- own/work at/part of a startup/small business
- are currently a day job and spending nights/weekends on their startup
- are looking to start their own startup but dont know how or still looking for an idea to work on
- thinking about taking the leap and quit their day job for something awesome.
- looking to meet other passionate/smart/awesome people
- are from different professional backgrounds (technical, business, lawyer, designer, etc)
sure, there are other meetup groups for startups. but after organizing three different reddit meetup events, i realize that the common bond of being reddit users has made the events that much more fun. where else can you talk about memes and everyone knows what you are referring to. redditors get each other and i think that makes the experience that much more fun.
presentations (start at 7:30pm)
i'd like to have at least 3 presentations from fellow redditors. the presentation topics should be general and not too technical and last about 10-15 minutes long with some Q/A at the end. Ideally, these presentations should be easy enough for everyone to understand, regardless of technical or education background. at the end of the day, everyone should be able to relate to the topics. for example:
- how i quit my job to start my startup
- things i wished i knew before i quit my day job
- how i used kickstarter to finance my startup
- how to bootstrap your business like i did
- how I worked a 2 full time jobs and still managed to find time to work on my passion project.
- how I failed hard and how you can avoid my mistakes
- i need to find a technical co-founder, what do I do?
- basic startup laws
- how do i come up with an awesome startup idea.
- i have a startup. let me show you my awesomeness.
These seem like really basic/general topics, but I believe that by sharing your experiences, both good and bad, everyone can learn from it. Not everyone can be a Mark Zuckerberg and get rich off their first startup. Its all about blood and sweat to get your startup off the ground and being able to find others that are in the same boat is a very rewarding and humbling experience.
if you'd like to present something, please email me directly with your presentation topic.
once the presentations are done, everyone should drink and network with everyone. talk business, talk about memes, whatever floats your boat. we are all redditors here so no need to be shy. im sure we all love cats and bacon in the end.
the event will be held at the WeWork Labs Lounge at 175 Varick Street. You can read more about WeWork here: http://wework.com/ I will be providing beers this time around. (while they last!)