Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Design Director, Luggage to join our Product Design team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in product design in house, circular design innovation, and in luggage/bags design company. You will report to the Senior Design Director based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Serve as the Design lead for the luggage product category
- Identify emerging trends; recommend those that are brand-appropriate through seasonal research & travel for competitive shopping & exploration of ideas with the company overseas manufacturing network.
- Vision & ability to conceptualize, & lead launch ideas through to completion; instills concept understanding across cross functional teams, while continuously bringing our design team vision to life
- Drives larger strategic projects (2.0 Product) forward through proactive research, coordination, influence
- Provides initial feedback on product roadmap & briefs, & guides the team to translate briefs into product designs.
- Provides strategic guidance & oversight of projects to ensure work delivers on goals of the business
- Challenges the design team to drive tip of the spear product, provides oversight on tactical design & project elements
- Conduit between business owners & creative team/output, able to represent the team while reflecting our team behaviors (thoughtful, smart, fun, efficient, collaborative, approachable, curious, respectful, accountable, one-team)
- Manages multiple direct reports & supports team members career growth (providing guidance & context/insights as needed)
Who you are:
- 10 years design experience managing overall product design in high-volume branded retailer or manufacturer
- A self-merchandising designer who can drive creativity while maintaining profit goals
- Designer who is creatively driven while maintaining a business mindset as it relates to profitability & commercial acceptability
- Has worked closely with strong merchandising function ensuring profitability, appropriate gross margin, & maximizing sell-thru
- Ability to identify trends on a long & short term basis.
- Must have an even temperament (not a big ego) & a willingness to roll up their sleeves & be part of a team
- High & translatable taste-level
- Strong people skills with the ability to collaborate & to manage diverse personalities
- Possesses inspirational & directional leadership skills.
- Strong communication (both verbal & written) & listening skills,
- Highly organized & take a process-oriented approach to all you do
- Experience managing design budget & calendar
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies