Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia & D.C, & offer in-office, hybrid, & remote working based on role & location.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Workplace Experience Manager to own our in-person & virtual workplace strategy and operations. You will manage the day-to-day operations at Betterments HQ in Manhattans Flatiron District & hub offices in Philadelphia & DC. You will be responsible for developing & implementing effective & efficient office systems, & you will be the go-to person for staff, vendors, & visitors. You will lead event planning & drive communications to build community & connect in-person & distributed team members to Betterments mission. You will also contribute to projects related to central office performance & operational excellence. You will partner with members of the People Team Leadership to design, deploy, streamline, & maintain processes, programs, policies to support a scalable employee growth strategy.
Your goal is to act as a thought partner to our Executive Team & People Team Leadership ensuring the employee engagement strategy aligns with the business priorities & focus areas. You'll identify gaps in current practices & develop high impact programs & interventions, whilst adopting an employee-centric approach when addressing key moments that matter to employees through the employee experience.
Please note this is an onsite role based out of our NYC HQ.
A Day in the Life:
- Create a positive & stimulating environment in line with Betterments culture & values
- Design concepts & every aspect of company events like parties, company updates, team surprises, holiday & achievements celebrations, wellness activities, ERSG initiatives, & more
- Craft a repeatable framework or playbook for maintenance & operations that ensures our workplaces will operate at the highest functionality possible
- Develop & maintain a workplace operating expense forecast & capital plan for construction & design projects in coordination with long-term headcount & location forecast from Finance & People Partners
- Oversee day-to-day office operations, including visitor management & shipping/receiving mail & packages, ownership of food & beverage programs, & workplace safety protocols. Manage & help grow our Workplace Experience team of two
- Supervise all facilities-related issues including property management, security, janitorial, repairs, office move & buildout when needed. Partner with vendors for various goods including office equipment, furniture, office supplies, etc.
- Ensure best in class approach to defining, measuring & assessing employee experience & follow up action planning, working in strong partnership & collaboration across the People Team to bring this to life
- Manage office moves, working with internal & external partners to ensure all parties are aligned on plans & teams are comfortable with any new arrangements.
- Develop an innovative & future focused real estate & office experience strategy for a scaling organization in multiple locations, enabling a thoughtful strategy to meet space needs & creating an inclusive culture & great employee experiences.
What Were Looking For:
- Experience supporting a distributed workforce across large & small offices, as well as fully remote employees
- Leadership in office management including site selection, design, construction, budgeting, furnishing, office operations, vendor management, & maintenance
- Passion for excellent customer service & delivering on small details while maintaining focus on the long-term big picture
- Experience with forecasting, adhering to budgets & managing costs
- Incident management & emergency/crisis response teams & efforts
- Ability to communicate & partner with multiple stakeholders including senior executives to get things done
- Experience working in corporate or high growth startup settings with direct real estate experience & team management
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self & make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- Youll have flexible paid time off, & a team that cares about you, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.