Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is currently seeking a Global Supply Chain Manager to join our team in San Francisco, CA. In this role, you will manage all Planets key strategic suppliers, contract negotiations, program executions, report on KPIs, Bottoms-Up-Costing exercises & support proposal submissions to the government & commercial space missions.
Impact Youll Own:
- Negotiate key agreements with suppliers to establish best-in-class pricing, flexibility, quality, delivery, payment, warranty, & service terms.
- Lead Supplier QBR processes, manage & report on KPIs
- Lead Total Cost Reduction program to ensure the lowest possible total cost, including part, capacity, inventory, transportation, & yield costs.
- Develop contingency plans to de-risk technical challenges, long lead time, single source, & any other potential supply chain risks.
- Execute programs to optimize schedule flexibility while minimizing excess & obsolete inventory exposure (E&O reduction).
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners & external partners to adhere to an established product development process to allow the project to adhere to program timelines at each phase gate & to meet overall program schedule.
- Work closely with global suppliers/partners & product certification teams to ensure modules & components are certified on time to ensure meeting overall program timing.
- Develop & maintain risk & opportunity plans to meet program objectives.
- Work closely with Engineering, Quality & Operations to create a common schedule based on Material Requirements Planning (MRP).
- Monitor performance metrics & proactively act to address program & functional issues.
- Travel in the Contiguous US as well as globally as needed to support product launches.
What You Bring:
- 7-10 years of experience in procurement, sourcing, supplier management, or related supply chain functions, preferably in Space & Defense Supply Chain organization industry
- 5+ years of experience in supply chain managing in an ODM|CM environment
- 5+ years directly managing complex supplier production operations at multiple sites that involve multi-tier supply inputs
- Demonstrated success establishing & negotiating domestic/international sourcing & contracts
- Demonstrated ability to lead within a matrix organization & to manage multiple organizational interfaces & stakeholders
- Excellent teamwork skills & proven aptitude to partner effectively with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e., colleagues, suppliers, & internal/external customers)
- Experience with KPIs, metrics, cost modeling & direct negotiation experience.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional groups & projects
- The ability to flourish & produce within a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment with changing priorities
- Ability to work independently, prioritize & multi-task while maintaining a positive & collaborative attitude
- High level knowledge of mechanical manufacturing processes including plastic molding, metal stamping/forging, die-casting, CNC, MIM, surface coating, & assembly processes.
- Technical procurement or planning experience with PCB, PCBA, or electrical components as well as harnessing
- Technical knowledge of Space or Tactical related hardware as well as knowledge of operational & manufacturing processes (assembly, integration, & test) preferred.
- The ability & willingness to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes & supplier relationship management
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Working knowledge of US Government acquisition laws & regulations preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of DoD / NASA required business systems, process controls, & procedures preferred.
- A Bachelors degree in Business Operations, Logistics or Supply Chain Management or an equivalent combination of education & experience managing logistics in space industry.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.