Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The design team at Planet is looking for a strong product design lead to grow our team. As a product designer youll be responsible for end-to-end execution while being a strong advocate for both users & those impacted by the software you design. Youll work with engineering, product management & other divisions on complex problems while keeping an eye on the big picture to bring product vision through to production. Plus, youll get a chance to work on projects that really drive change in the world, & youll do it in a rapidly evolving industry that requires truly novel design solutions.
Impact Youll Own:
- Develop a confident path in how we will become a more human-centered design org; advocate for design, & lead with design artifacts in every conversation
- Create UX & UI solutions for a global customer base
- Partner closely with UX Research & Design Leadership to be able to scale our teams work, & keep learning about our customers
- Facilitate workshops with product & engineering partners
- Draft information flows, wireframes, illustrate high fidelity screens & prototypes
- Partner with product management & development teams to ensure that the design work meets the highest quality standards
- Manage & mentor a small team, build out the Product design team over time
What You Bring:
- 6+ years professional experience designing complex digital products
- 4+ years of experience managing & mentoring direct reports
- A portfolio demonstrating examples of professional projects: the results and how you got there
- End to end design experience: Youve taken projects from early ideation to live software, gathered feedback & improved upon previous iterations -- you dont need to be an expert in everything, but youre well rounded & familiar with all design phases (early ideation, UX, information architecture, prototyping, hand off with development etc)
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- A strong degree of empathy for others (both end users & co-workers)
- A learning mindset & resilience -- you are able to apply your creative skills to overcome roadblocks & challenges
- A flexible approach: you apply principles over process & can adjust situationally
- A history of positive influence on design & design culture at other companies
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Previous experience with GIS, geospatial data and/or remote sensing -- even if its only tangential
- Experience designing for SaaS and/or B2B products
- Experience working with Figma
- Growth mindset
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, & other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.