Were looking for a Managing Director who has impeccable judgement, strong management & coordination skills, as well as the ability to keep daily workflows in motion in our filmmaker-driven documentary unit, Field of Vision. The Managing Director will work collaboratively with the Executive Producers to implement & support Field of Vision's creative vision & mission. The Managing Director will manage FOVs staff & day-to-day operations, & work with the Executive Producers to create & launch new initiatives.
The Managing Director will have 4-5 direct reports.
This is a full-time staff position located in our New York City office.
- Oversee programs & partnerships & manages editorial processes.
- Manage, train, delegate responsibilities & supervise the work of direct reports on the team.
- Supports EPs to set yearly budgets & oversees daily organizational budget for operations & productions.
- Provide support to Executive Producers in ongoing filmmaker Fellowship Program.
- Oversee key organizational functions, directly implementing as necessary, including communications, marketing, legal & business affairs, & closely coordinates with relevant First Look Media departments.
- Oversee external contractors & consultants to support FOV's needs where necessary.
Background & Qualifications:
- At least 10 years experience in increasingly responsible positions within documentary film production and/or film commissioning.
- Proven experience as Managing Director or other managerial position.
- Knowledge of national & international film production & distribution, including contracts, deal terms, budgeting, theatrical & festival circuits.
- Knowledge of journalistic & documentary ethics & standards.
- Demonstrated experience as a strategic leader in the documentary field.
- Demonstrated experience in developing new programming & partnerships & in implementing inclusion & diversity at all levels.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines & to prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to self-manage & prioritize work appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal, written & oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel & to work nights & weekends around events & key deadlines.
- Experience as a lead production role of non-fiction feature films, or broadcast projects.
- Experience within comparable journalism, arts, or film organizations.
- Proficiency with project management systems, communication resources & related software programs.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven visual journalism unit that commissions filmmakers & artists with developing & ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights & needs of filmmakers, & supporting cinematic innovation & diversity.
Founded in 2015 & led by Executive Producers Laura Poitras & Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 110 films, including over 75 short films, 4 episodic series, & 15 features. 50% of FOV-supported films have been directed by women & 42% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, & IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury & other awards & nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker and The Intercept & Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New Yorks IFC Center & Londons Institute for Contemporary Arts.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.