Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
About the Position
As a Software Engineer on the Places team, you'll work on the pipelines, tools, & automation systems that power the Places database. We use popular open-source technologies alongside a custom in-house storage & curation platform to cluster, clean, & synthesize data at scale. Our day to day work often involves complex distributed systems problems but we also handle our share of small data solutions & optimizing QA workflows.
Ideal candidates will be excited about implementing robust, data-oriented software systems in production but will also be capable at the messier aspects of digging into data quality problems & turning analysis into clearly communicated summaries & recommendations. In this role your contributions will impact our largest engineering team & one of the company's primary products.
In this role, youll
- Develop & maintain Spark & Hadoop MapReduce workflows
- Build internal tools for data ingestion & investigation
- Implement software quality practices like automated testing, continuous delivery, monitoring & observability to help make our data systems more reliable & robust
What youll need
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- Comfortable in a small & fast-paced startup environment
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Docker
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Benefits & Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings & Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family Planning & Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.