SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER, INDUSTRIAL SYSTEMS
As a member of the Starship Production Infrastructure team, you will work with engineers across multiple disciplines in the design, procurement, & build of Starship production infrastructure. This position is based out of Brownsville, TX.
- Lead a project team of engineers, consultants, & contractors throughout the engineering, procurement, & construction process
- Manage the design, development, & issuance of drawings, documentation, & reports for aerospace, large commercial or industrial type facility & infrastructure projects
- Write, negotiate, & manage construction contracts with subcontractors across multiple disciplines from conceptual design through close out & activation
- Lead and/or contribute to design of HVAC systems for various facilities: office, large warehouse, rocket, & customer payload
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, & heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing & piping systems
- Conduct research that tests & analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, & performance of equipment, components & systems
- Recommend designs / modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Develop & test models of alternate designs & processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications & necessity of modification
- Estimate costs & submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction projects, & prepare contract documents
- Resolve design & construction conflicts in the field in real time with multiple parties
- Prepare plans, details, specifications, & commercial bid documents for plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning & general piping system
- Review & evaluate the work of consultants, contractors, & other external parties
- Responsible for planning, coordinating & executing various construction projects simultaneously
- Accountable for accurate budgeting & cost forecasting
- Oversee project schedule accuracy & milestone reporting to engineers, contractors, fabricators, & project stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience with the design & build of aerospace, large commercial, or industrial type projects
- Experience with mechanical/process piping/HVAC system design and/or project execution
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of construction experience with working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, & plumbing
- Direct field experience with day to day management on a construction site
- Experience in conceptual design & budgeting
- Experience in contract management for large capital projects
- Experience in managing the engineering, procurement, & construction process for aerospace or heavy industrial type projects
- Experience in ASME B31.3 & B31.9 fluid systems
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience creating & implementing process/design solutions with minimal impact to business operations
- Able to quickly assess an issue & assist technicians with troubleshooting & repair
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment, under possible extended work hours & tight deadlines
- Acute attention to detail, ability to see interactions with other systems to avoid problems
- Familiarity with National Electric Code, ASHRAE, National Fire Protection Association, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) & International Building Code
- Ability to pass Space Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Perform hands-on work in all environments (heat, cold, rain), in tight quarters or at heights
- Must be able to work extended hours & weekends as needed
- Remain focused while working in hazardous environments, while wearing appropriate PPE
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs unassisted, ability to be standing & moving for majority of day
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influence in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.