View All Jobs
Do you love breaking stuff? Yeah, us too. But not on production although we cant make any promises! Were looking for a Senior SDET to join our team & build the next generation of Updater products.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies, & our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldnt be. Thats why our platform comprises a suite of both business & consumer-facing apps: from a consumer-facing platform to a variety of products for real estate companies to an API & an Integrations Platform.
Our teams currently use a range of languages, & we choose tools thoughtfully because they are the best choice for our products at the time. However, were not dogmatic, & evaluate new frameworks & our stack frequently. We expect this role to contribute to our technical ecosystem with quality assurance tools, processes & innovation.
As the first SDET on our team, youll be part of a team at Updater that will be responsible for creating & implementing the next generation of QA software platforms for the engineering organization. Using our Selenium & Mocha based automation suites, we want to drive forward with our automation road map to position our developer experience to be faster & more efficient.
About the Role
- Partner with our engineering teams to identify the best Automation platforms & approaches
- Teach & mentor an approach to quality that spans the entire organization,
- Help ensure engineers are testing the correct things with the correct tools
- Ensure coverage for codebases is suitable & comprehensive
- Implement additional tools, technologies & resources that will help minimize the amount of time engineers spend on manual testing.
- Scale our ability to improve quality by faster execution, tool implementation, integration into automation
- Help build out a 21st century automation testing platform
- Mentor & lead a small team of SDETs
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from your customers point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: You have opinions about engineering processes, architecture, infrastructure, & tools, but understand theres often multiple valid ways to solve a problem.
- Strong Communication: youre as comfortable talking with our VP of Product as you are with our engineers
- Comfort with Ambiguity: youre used to being given open-ended challenges & discovering working solutions through trial & error
- Will have worked on automation platforms across a complex technical project, such as websites, apis, mobile apps or within a large team dynamic
- 5+ years of experience working as a SDET
- Set up execution platforms such as AWS test grids, Saucelabs, BrowserStack, Selenium Grids, etc.
- Has helped integrate automated testing into build processes & deployment pipelines, using tooling, scripting & PaaS
- Experience leading a small team or experience running SDETs embedded with engineers (we're looking for small & efficient teams)
- Tremendous domain knowledge. Youre intellectually curious & understand the pros & cons of different tools & technologies.
- Empowering engineers to build confidence in code by implementing a robust automation strategy to our SDLC process
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV & internet, & much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily & relocation companies) rely on Updaters real estate products to save clients hours with a branded & personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors), & more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest-rated tech company on the list, & ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.