Zola is seeking a Vice President, Legal to join & lead its lean & mighty Legal Department. The role offers a breadth of exposure & experience that would be perfect for a sharp & flexible generalist. Fit & drive are critical. Zola is a place of self-starters filled with colleagues that combine drive, passion, & excellence with kindness, generosity, & a collaborative spirit.
Who We Are Looking For:
- Senior legal leader with experience leading legal departments (bonus points for experience within VC-backed startups, e-commerce, and/or marketplaces)
- Solutions-oriented, consistently bringing a positive, can-do attitude to the work
- Go-getter, hard worker, ready to hustle to get the job done
- Inquisitive & proactive, always thinking of ways to improve legal & business processes
- Thrives in high-pressure, fast-paced environments & multitasks expertly
- Team player, humble, flexible, no big egos!
- Set strategy & vision for the legal team to support Zolas objectives
- Build trust & provide pragmatic counsel to company leadership
- Leverage & effectively & efficiently manage external legal experts
- Advise on a variety of commercial transactions
- Identify & advise on risk, liability & compliance matters
- Work closely with finance & corporate teams on corporate transactions & governance
- Provide guidance to marketing team on partnerships & marketing compliance
- Provide guidance to talent team on employment & recruiting matters
- Provide leadership on cross-functional teams relating to intellectual property, data privacy, & security matters
- Support business teams in new product development & operations
- Manage any disputes or litigation that may arise
- Manage & provide mentorship to legal team
- J.D from a top-tier law school
- Active bar license, in good standing
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including in-house experience in a leadership position
- Native expertise on a range of relevant subject matters & track record of effectively leveraging outside counsel beyond such expertise
- Preferred experience: experience leading the legal department in a VC-backed startup in the e-commerce or marketplace space
- In your cover letter, please include two to three sentences on why you would like this job at Zola specifically; if you do not include this, you will not be considered
We're Zola, the wedding company that will do anything for love. We're reinventing the wedding planning & registry experience to make the happiest moment in our couples lives even happier. From engagement to wedding & decorating your first home, Zola is there, combining compassionate customer service with modern tools & technology all in the service of love.
We built our entire platform from the ground-up in 2013, & quickly became the fastest-growing wedding company in the country. Our team has deep experience creating award-winning online & mobile products that are helpful, intuitive, & simply magical. Were proud to have investor partners including Female Founders Fund, Comcast Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Canvas Ventures, Thrive Capital & Lightspeed Venture Partners, among others.
We are passionate about supporting all forms of love, & were proud of our thriving community of over 1 million couples. We strive to hire a team that is as beautifully diverse as the couples getting married today, & we encourage individuals from every race, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, marital status, religion & perspective to apply. Zola will always be a place where every employee, couple, wedding guest, wedding vendor, & partner will be respected & accepted & valued.
Our headquarters are in NYC, & we have offices in Charlottesville & Montreal. Come work with us!