Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategy Manager with a commitment to our mission to join our internationally diverse Strategy team. Strategy Manager develop & deliver strategy workstreams independently & in partnership with Strategy colleagues, collaborate closely with our creative & campaigning teams, work closely with clients & partners, & contribute to business development.
The role reports to a Senior Strategy Team Member & is based in Purpose's New York office.
This role is offered at the Manager tier, with a yearly salary of $68,000 - $85,000, commensurate with experience.
- Research & analysis: Executes multi-faceted research & analyzes findings to deliver clear & relevant insights & conclusions across workstreams (with limited oversight)
- Strategy & problem solving: Authors compelling strategic storylines that demonstrates the connections from insights to strategy, confidently uses & proactively builds upon Purposes core frameworks & IP, & develops & creates big ideas in collaboration with campaigns & creative to shape them across a project (with limited oversight)
- Communication: Across different internal / client / partner audiences, confidently presents their work & facilitates discussion; & communicates the key messages, components, & storyline of deliverables clearly, concisely, & with high attention to detail, including well-structured & designed decks; & compelling & clear creative briefs
- Relationship building & management: Develops deep knowledge of the clients organization & sector, builds relationships & collaborates with client contacts (often as main contact with mid-level client contacts), & is sensitive to impacts decisions have on the client & team. With oversight, leads small to midsize projects on a day-to-day basis & knows when & how to get additional perspective and/or escalate
- Business development: Leads proposal/pitch writing, collaborates on budgeting, & facilitates business development conversations with client/partners, & understands the role of BD in the overall business context
- Culture & conduct: Professional, constructive & collaborative across all aspects of work
- Developing & mentoring people: Shares & fosters an environment of self awareness, open & constructive feedback, & continual improvement, & oversees & supports more junior colleagues on projects
- Equity, diversity, & inclusion: Demonstrates through their behavior & decisions a commitment to equity, diversity, & inclusion, & integrates & prioritizes equity in project work, including research & strategy recommendations in deliverables & client/partner conversations
- Productivity & accountability: Set a high bar for their work product, proactively owns their workstreams & deliverables, flags challenges where required, & delivers on time & on budget
You should have approximately 5-7 years of full-time work experience, ideally with a strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR) or non-profit advocacy organization, a demonstrated track record and/or commitment to social sector campaigning & advocacy, & client-facing experience.
We are looking for a team player who:
- Enjoys solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, & solutions
- Communicates their argument & perspective clearly & convincingly, verbally & in writing
- Thoughtfully receives, balances, & integrates feedback from multiple sources, including project leaders & cross-functional colleagues, & clients
- Brings experience in developing common agency- & consulting-style deliverables, such as synthesized issue & audience insights, strategy options & recommendations, & creative briefs
- Strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR) or non-profit advocacy organization preferred, but not required
- Bilingual fluency in a foreign language is a plus. We're particularly looking for candidates with Spanish language skills.
- Values delivering for & collaborating with clients, funders, & partners
- Has high integrity, a high bar for quality & rigor, hands-on attitude, & proactivity
- Is committed to building an equitable, diverse, & inclusive workplace
- Is committed to applying & advocating for an equity lens to the work, including seeking & honoring diverse research inputs, interrogating & challenging biases & stereotypes, analyzing how power & intersectionality impacts different audience/community segments & what that means for engagement, & creating culturally relevant & respectful strategic recommendations
- Is excited about working with diverse team members
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.