At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
This team is transforming urban transportation through Lyfts micromobility ecosystem.
We are in search of a controls engineer to perform dynamics modeling, algorithm design, controller implementation & validation for electric powertrain & charging algorithms across the power path - from charger to battery, motor controller, motor, pedal & throttle. This person will additionally be responsible for enabling sensor transduction across our products through sensor selection, modeling, implementing & validating sensing strategies to inform action that improves characteristics like product safety & theft mitigation.
- Evaluate & inform product architectures for fit to product needs
- Outline controller requirements based on system performance requirements
- Develop controls strategies to meet system needs
- Develop dynamic models of the system, develop & tune controller algorithms accordingly to optimize performance
- Translate algorithms into software implementation, & work closely with firmware team to implement controls algorithms
- Outline sensor requirements based on system performance requirements
- Implement sensor transduction to inform action to improve characteristics like safety & theft
- Test, validate, & troubleshoot control & transduction implementations in simulation & realtime HW/FW environments
- Develop & utilize computer simulations (Matlab/Simulink, HiL, SiL) to validate existing and investigate new algorithms, modifications, or corner-case events in both simulation & in hardware
- Help specify microcontroller requirements & drive part selection
- BS, MSc or PhD in electrical, mechanical, physics or related engineering discipline
- 5+ years experience in electric powertrain controls
- Experience in simulating & modeling controllers in Python or Matlab/Simulink
- Experience in calibrating & tuning control systems, especially with vehicles
- Experience with firmware implementation of controls algorithms
- Experience with motor controller hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Experience with motor & motor controller failure modes & detection/recovery strategies
- Experience in empirical validation & data correlation of models & systems
- Experience with CAN, CAN tools, JTAG/SWD, Oscilloscope, PowerAnalyzer, Dyno & battery handling for validation & debug of controls implementation is a bonus; XCP a plus.
- Get-it-done attitude, with a focus on results
- Ability to generate & interpret simulation results & integrate recommendations into product designs
- Hands-on experience with sensor transduction desired
- A passion for creating products that will decouple the right to mobility from car ownership & fundamentally change how people move through cities
- Strong written & verbal communication skills.
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.