About this Role
At Fandom, this Principal Engineer role works with the Data Platform team & serves as a technical leader who builds engagement & monetizes the experiences from both an architectural & systems design perspective, for over 300 million monthly users across Fandom sites & applications. The role is a top technical leader throughout all of Fandom.
- Have a Broad Technical Impact
- This role will own this technical area from an architectural & systems design perspective, leading other engineers, & working side-by-side with them to discover & implement solutions. Its a lead role that also allows someone to roll up their sleeves & gets their hands dirty.
- This role will be a top technical leader throughout all of Fandom & as such, being a clear communicator across a variety of audiences is imperative.
- Execute with the Future in Mind
- This role is one that must always be thinking about the future, not overbuilding for it, & finding that right balance of developing solutions for current issues while not over-engineering for issues we are not sure well need to solve for
- Always have a plan for potential future issues & growth opportunities.
- Stays abreast of all applicable new technology innovations happening in the industry, & knows when is the right time to bring new thoughts & potential infrastructure changes into discussions, with an understanding of the trade-offs & potential impact on overall tech-debt.
- Be Accountable
- Provide technical leadership for highly impactful projects that involve multiple teams & span multiple technologies & systems
- Lead large projects or large significant pieces of projects depending on the project scale
- Proactivity identify risks & opportunities to improve the organizations processes & technologies
- Influences other senior leaders on engineering strategy
- Lead Key Initiatives
- Working with the Data Science team to build out & scale Recommendations for TV, Movie, & Games both inline in the Users experience & as stand-alone pages
- Streaming user pageview & action-event data into a system that develops a dynamic Profile of each user to be used to Personalize their experiences in a multitude of ways
- Scaling out our Gamification systems to encourage users to develop high-quality content & be rewarded for their efforts
- Using all of the above to find new ways to monetize the users experiences through Affiliate, E-Commerce, Display, & hopefully many more types of future revenue streams
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with a track-record of back-end development, design & architecture
- Expertise in a modern form of 1 or more of the following languages: Java, Python, Golang, Kotlin
- Designing & architecting scaled-up back-end systems (Kafka, MySQL, NoSQL, MongoDB, Neo4j), with expertise in both relational & nonrelational systems & when it is important to choose each one
- A high degree of proficiency in how to optimize full-stack web systems, in both dynamic & highly cached environments.
- Experience building large user personalization, recommendation and/or search based systems with an average monthly base of at least 50-100M monthly users, preferably scaled to 10x those numbers
- Deep experience as a thought leader & technical leader for large Engineering teams.
- An ability to hit the ground running; digesting what we have, where we are going, & using previous experiences to drive forward within a few weeks.
- Demonstrated experience explaining complicated technical plans to a variety of audiences.
- A mindset that is business-oriented, collaborative, & comfortable with mentoring others
Bonus Points if You Have...
- A passion for fandoms & an interest in building products for fan communities around the world.
- Contributed to open-source projects
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Training based on business needs
- Flexible working hours
- Open, energetic & fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as wellness programs, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, & celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or whats buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge & carefully curated & fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users & encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & its grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, & deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, & the work we do.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Police Code, Article 49