Were hiring a Senior Data Engineer.
About our team & what well build together
Were looking for an experienced data engineer & mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Senior Data Engineer who will help solidify & expand our pipelines & maintain our data warehouse. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love & which can be improved, & which product & marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside analysts, product, marketing, & other teams to define new data collection components & measurement schemes that support each new product & feature.
How youll contribute to our mission
- Create & maintain data pipelines to provide insights & drive business decisions
- Establish theSkimms data warehousing strategy (ex. Kimball, Data Vault, etc.)
- Maintain theSkimms data infrastructure on our AWS accounts
- Collaborates with analytics & business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility & fostering data-driven decision making across the organization
- Write unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, & documents work
- Implement processes & systems to monitor data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate & available for key stakeholders & business processes that depend on it
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- 4-6+ years of industry experience measuring product performance & user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, & others
- Experience implementing BI reporting tools such as Looker
- Experience interfacing with engineers, product managers & analysts to understand data needs
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons, SDKs, APIs including Google Analytics, Amplitude, Braze, Stripe, email service providers
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation & procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy & detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication & trust
- Understanding of the typical metrics a subscription & advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity & facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, CircleCI, Serverless)
Why we love working here
We are mission driven & values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand for women by helping them maneuver through lifes necessities. We are providing this community with information & resources so they have the ability, agency & confidence to live their smartest lives. Every role has a purpose & allows us to equip & enable women to make their best decisions, feel more educated & have the right knowledge at the right time.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work & our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us support this incredible brand & take part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each & every day.
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day & employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- Generous paid parental leave
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
Were a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, we have become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way our audience consumes news & makes decisions. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & we continue to innovate, find new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. Our product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done! We continue to grow the breadth of our offerings in lifes necessary categories & by expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, our ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation - & the ones that follow - in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.