Bonobos is looking for a temporary or contract Senior Scrum Master / Program Manager / Release Train Engineer (RTE) with Scaled Agile (SAFe) experience who can serve as Program Manager/RTE & SAFe subject matter expert for our Agile Release Train (ART) as our Director of Delivery Leadership transitions to maternity leave. There is potential for this engagement to convert to a full time hire.
At Bonobos, were redefining how customers browse, discover & shop for apparel. As the first digitally native apparel company in the US, we are poised to make groundbreaking advances in how customers shop. Bonobos is uniquely positioned to delight customers by connecting our showroom stores (we call them Guideshop locations) to our online experiences. We're inventing the future of retail & our customers are fanatical about our clothes & our world-class customer service.
Initially reporting to our Director of Delivery Leadership, youll acclimate to our teams & the work we do & assess where we stand in our arc towards SAFe maturity, so you can recommended enhancements & improvements to our SAFe practice (your previous experience with SAFe sets you apart among our ART as we are largely new to SAFe). Youll serve as the most experienced scrum master on our delivery leadership team, where youll mentor our two existing scrum masters/CSMs & run weekly scrum of scrums sessions.
Once youre on board with our teams, our work, & our scrum & SAFe practices to date, youll assume the role of Program Manager / RTE while our Director of Delivery Leadership takes maternity leave. Youll people-manage our two scrum masters & report directly to our CTO (and recent SPC!) during this time.
We're looking for a player/coach who is excited to help our teams drive execution progress as an RTE & improvement as a SAFe SME. Youll liaise across the entire business with frequent collaboration with our Engineering, Information Systems, Data Analytics & Science, Product & User Experience teams. Youll also have the opportunity to interact with key partners in Marketing, Merchandising, Consumer Experience, Planning, Finance & Accounting.
What you'll do...
- Actively onboard to our teams & the work we do, plus gain first-hand insights to where we are in our journey to adopt SAFe, so that you can recommend improvements & enhancements to practice
- Operate as the most experienced scrum master on our Delivery Leadership team---leading by example, coaching our two existing scrum masters as they develop their practice of scrum & assessing the scrum maturity of the larger team & organization. Youll coach the teams to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable & comfortable for the team & organization.
- Serve as a SAFe subject matter expert for both our existing scrum master/Delivery leadership team & our larger Technology Delivery team-of-teams/ART. Youll use your SAFe experience to help us avoid pitfalls & recommend enhancements to our SAFe practice as we evolve to launch additional Agile Release Trains (ARTs), add Portfolio Management, Epic Roadmaps, etc.
- Transition to serve as Program Manager & Release Train Engineer (RTE) for our ART, as our Director of Delivery Leadership transitions to maternity leave. Youll actively drive progress for the ART & plan & facilitate ART level events like System demos, inspect & adapt sessions, PI planning, etc.
- Assist & supplement SAFe training for new hires, functional partners, etc. currently led by our CTO (& recent SPC!)
- Manage the program backlog of improvements coming out of retrospectives & inspect & adapt activities
- Guide the teams in self-organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the SAFe & Scrum frameworks
- Add & improve relevant reporting at both working team & program levels (real time, data per sprint, program increment (PI) in aggregate, etc.), for the purposes of internal (technology group) & external communications, towards the end of radiating information & improving transparency. Youll also drive any needed Jira configurations & enhancements required to enable this.
- Serve as scrum master for one or two delivery teams, as needed
- Have extensive experience as a scrum master & experience in program management
- Have experience as a Release Train Engineer (RTE)
- Have excellent skills & knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, & increasing transparency
- Have knowledge of numerous well documented patterns & techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.)
- Have 3-5 years experience working within the Scaled Agile (SAFe) framework
- Hold a Scrum master certification (CSM), SAFe SSM or SASM certification. A SAFe RTE certification is preferred.
- Are detailed in your work, while maintaining the ability to see the overall picture & challenge the traditional path
- Work collaboratively with team members to achieve team initiatives
- Are curious & like to experiment---you are adaptable & comfortable with change
- Convey a can-do, positive attitude towards tackling problems
- Are able to see other points-of-view while maintaining confident direction
- Have the willingness to roll up your sleeves & do whats necessary
- Preferably, have retail/e-commerce/omnichannel fashion experience
- Preferably, have experience coaching product owners & product managers for development
- Preferably, have knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Preferably, have knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Work hard because we love what were doing, but also believe in balance (say hello to flex PTO!)
- Back up our talk with a competitive compensation & benefits package, challenging projects, random acts of team-wide fun & awesome co-workers that feel like family
- Value self-awareness, intellectual honesty, judgment, empathy & positive energy---often over experience
- Are located in the Flatiron District in the heart of Manhattan
- Have a passion for delivering a superior experience to our customers, clients, vendors & one another
- Are excited to hear from you