WHO ARE WE?
The Accounting team is made up of smart, driven, dog-loving accountants who handle the core accounting responsibilities at BARK. These include closing the general ledger monthly & producing GAAP Financials. As the Assistant Controller you will report to the Controller & will serve as a collaborative member of the finance team, working closely with the entire organization to realize BARKS full potential & growth plans.. You'll encounter daily challenges that will sharpen your problem solving skills & tap into your creativity in order to help the team become more efficient & effective. We are a very collaborative team, working cross-functionally across BARK. What we take seriously: having fun, working hard, & playing with dogs (obviously).
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a dog obsessed & highly motivated individual to act as a leader in our Accounting function through our next phase of growth & scale. This person will be experienced in supporting the strategic direction of the accounting function, while rolling up their sleeves to dive into the details when necessary. They will be a strong collaborator & people manager & be seen as a trusted & knowledgeable leader dedicated to growing a first class Accounting team to help BARK reach our full potential.
- Develop, lead & manage the entire period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter & year-end)
- Ensure the timely & accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under US GAAP, including day-to-day transactions
- Lead company through financial statement audit with Big 4 firm
- Implement industry standard best practices across new & existing workflows with a focus on optimization & the reduction of manual processes
- Establish & implement effective controls over the accounting, close & reporting processes
- Implement & maintain key SOX controls related to the Accounting team & processes
- Help lead & develop a world class accounting team. Manage team workload, structure & staffing to ensure balance & alignment of demands & individual skillsets & career aspirations.
- Assist with strategic planning & implementation of department/company-wide initiatives & the annual budget & ongoing forecasting process
- Build & maintain relationships with business leaders. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability & results.
- Remain current on industry-specific accounting guidance, technologies & emerging trends.
- You have a degree in Accounting & an active CPA license
- You have 7+ years of experience working in a Big Four firm or a publicly traded company
- You have experience in retail, tech or in a related disruptive industry
- You have experience working with physical inventory
- You have excellent technical accounting skills with a detailed understanding of current GAAP standards & SEC reporting requirements
- You have experience leading the execution & optimization of accounting operations & accounting close processes
- You have experience working with accounting & financial reporting systems, & designing & implementing systems & procedures
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Entrepreneurial & results-oriented with a high-level of executive presence, high energy, self motivated, & hands on.
- Collaborative & proactive by nature with strong cross-functional & integrative organizational skills.
- Strong communicator who can take complex accounting topics & make them simple & relevant for business & operational leaders.
- The ability to work collaboratively with all levels in the organization.
- A strategic thinker regarding competitive strategy, business models, & financial management. Drives performance & continuous improvement using an analytic & metrics based approach.
- A continuous process improvement mindset.
- Must love dogs!
This position is a full-time exempt position. It is located on-site at our office in New York City, working on a hybrid basis. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.