Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded Machine Learning Scientist (MLS) who is motivated to solve some of the worlds most challenging forecasting problems in global trade.
Data is at the heart of our business, & as a Machine Learning Scientist, you will work to evaluate & provide insights into our physical & digital products. In collaboration with multidisciplinary product, engineering, user experience, & business/operations teams, you will apply advanced Machine Learning (ML) methods to deliver data-driven insights & automated decision solutions in Flexports client & carrier-facing freight forwarding products.
Our product & engineering teams collaborate very closely with our Machine Learning Scientists to share domain knowledge, test hypotheses at scale & develop promising solutions that can be quickly & widely deployed. In addition, we are passionate about providing effortlessly accessible intelligence & actionable insights to our end users. Thus, the ideal MLS candidate is: self-motivated, highly analytical, technically excellent at writing code, & passionate about delivering cutting-edge solutions.
Locations: San Francisco, Bellevue
- Perform R&D to explore supply & demand forecasting strategies including:
- Drive model development to explore forecasting strategies needed at various time scales.
- Explore & work with large & complex data sets to implement robust feature & signal extraction models to identify signals that support better decision-making.
- Perform simulation/backtesting to assess the performance of forecasting models.
- Write production-quality code that will form the core of our forecasting product.
- Work collaboratively with product, engineering, & business to:
- Find opportunities to improve & enhance our forecasting technology products.
- Understand Flexports business & operations processes to identify impact opportunities.
- Translate ambiguous business requirements into the right technical solution.
- Design & build robust & scalable production forecasting solutions.
- Perform requirements gathering & data analysis.
- Research prior work to inform & develop rational hypotheses & quantify appropriate metrics & targets.
- Deliver compelling data-driven estimation solutions to support automated decision-making at scale.
- Develop & refactor ML solutions to support scalable production deployment.
- Communicate findings to technical collaborators & business stakeholders.
You Should Have:
- Masters degree in quantitative fields, such as Machine Learning,Statistics, Applied Math, etc. with 3+ years of industry experience.
- 3+ years of industry experience building, iterating, validating, & deploying statistical and/or machine learning models.
- Experience & a strong background in forecasting, data mining, machine learning, & data analytics, with an emphasis on quantitative methods.
- Experience in business analytics, forecasting, or supply chain planning, emphasizing quantitative modeling & analysis.
- Experience programming with a programming language such as: Python, Java, C++, C#, or C.
- Experience working with large data sets.
- Strong verbal & written communication.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent research experience) in quantitative fields, such as Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, etc.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in developing forecasting solutions for transportation networks, with emphasis on supply & demand interplay in network environments.
- Experience in machine learning & statistical techniques such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, & experimental design.
- Experience taking research prototypes to production.
- Knowledge of the transportation & logistics industry.
- Proven object-oriented design & implementation skills (Python, Java, and/or C++),
- Strong research track record (e.g. publications & patents).
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Are you worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its crucial for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding, & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another, & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program explicitly designed to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.