We are looking for a passionate Staff Engineer to join our rapidly growing Membership Engineering team. We want someone to provide technical leadership as the team designs, builds & deploys innovative products & services. This position has a lot of autonomy & will be able to influence the direction of new & existing projects. We are looking for hands-on coding, mentoring developers as well as designing system architecture. As part of the team, you will support our subscriptions business, from working with our product team & supporting user-facing features, to ensuring data integrity & flow into our financial systems.
Facilitate the Delivery of Large Engineering Projects
- Guide the technical roadmap of multiple software engineering teams
- Lead architecture meetings & technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus & best practice solutions.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements & solutions & drive projects through to completion.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management, & Engineering in order to deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders
- Understand the interaction between your teams services & those owned by other teams, in order to effectively design systems which leverage the strengths & mitigate the challenges posed by such interactions
- Design architectures intended for the long term while acknowledging near term requirements
- Break down tasks for other engineers & offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- Ability to say NO, respectfully challenge ideas, & call out potential trade-offs.
- Partner with our SRE & infrastructure teams to scale & monitor our services.
Help Build A Culture Of Quality
- Actively maintain & build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, & trust.
- Have a strong technical voice in team discussions & decisions. Focus on the whole teams productivity & strive to increase the impact of the teams work product.
- Assume technical responsibility for new services & functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, & work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant applications.
- Contribute to the adoption of software architecture & new technologies.
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor backend software engineers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
- Be a leader within your team & the organization.
- 8+ years of relevant experience including e-commerce, web application development, and/or systems.
- Demonstrable senior level expertise in both back end & front end technologies & software engineering techniques
- At least two years being a tech lead of a group of three or more software engineers.
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with customers, stakeholders & other engineers.
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment.
- At least three demonstrable experiences in leading the deployments of systems into production.
- Experience in a high-paced, high-growth environment working with deadlines & milestones.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done.
- Senior-level with at least one modern programming language & can learn anything you don't already know to get the job done.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent communication & teamwork skills.
- Have a solid understanding of clean software design principles.
- Expert understanding of object-oriented and/or functional programming design principles.
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success.
- Experience with data modeling.
- Experience with multiple database engines, both relational & non-relational (Postgres, MySql, DynamoDB, MongoDB).
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD (ex: Jenkins) tools, & containerizing applications (ex: Kubernetes).
- Proven experience in e-commerce development & integration.
- Work with development teams to understand test automation gaps & implement coverage.
- Have experience using monitoring & metrics to support KPIs & performance of APIs
- Experience building membership, subscriptions, billing, or payments systems
- Experience launching & scaling engineering teams from zero, being the founding member of a team / squad
- Enjoy tech talks, katas, lunch & learns, & geeking over programming languages, architecture, category theory, or whatever engineering topic you are passionate about.
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities.
- Experience with or knowledge of Domain Driven Design
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming & Test Driven Development.
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages & frameworks.
- JVM, microservice, & experience w/ event-driven architecture.
- Experience migrating a monolithic system to an ecosystem of microservices.
- Experience with internationalization & localization.
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of over 2.6 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, & the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. We make fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, & convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage our Members to be the best versions of themselves.
An innovation company at the nexus of fitness, technology, & media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, & world-class streaming digital fitness & wellness content, creating a product that its Members love. The brands immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, & Peloton Digital, which provides a full slate of fitness offerings, anytime, anywhere, through iOS & Android as well as most tablets & computers.
Founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City, Peloton was named the fastest growing company in the city by Crains & is consistently named among the most innovative companies by Fast Company. Peloton is a publicly-traded company (NASDAQ: PTON) & pre-IPO investors include True Ventures, Fidelity Investments, Wellington Management, JP Morgan Private Bank, NBC Universal, & Kleiner Perkins. Learn more at onepeloton.com.