Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is constantly working on next generation systems & space platforms & we are seeking a manager with RF design & digital communications focus to lead Planets next generation radio development. As an experienced RF engineer on a world-class engineering team, you will take responsibility for building out the RF roadmap, support multiple satellite platforms that Planet operates, & provide mentoring & career development for an incredible team of engineers. As a proven leader you will use your experience to establish best practices & motivate high-quality engineering, & you are equally comfortable leading a team as you are making technical contributions to projects.
Your team will be composed of RF, antenna, & DSP/digital communications engineers. You will work alongside EE, Flight SW, EE, ME/Thermal, Ground Station, & GNC teams to build & launch Planets next generation Earth Observation satellites. You will also support the MFG & Mission Operations teams with the existing line of Dove & Skysat spacecraft. You will qualify & improve performance, reliability, & lifetime by working with the reliability & qualification teams. You will work closely with systems engineering, missions, & manufacturing teams to ensure mission success. Simply put, you will build the space systems of tomorrow.
Impact Youll Own:
- Architecture & strategic roadmap of the radio communications systems
- Work on evolutionary & revolutionary improvements in the design, performance, reliability, lifetime, & cost of the radio & ground station network
- Develop a core technology roadmap to ensure Planets communication network is reliable, adaptable, & cutting edge to support new business needs
- Maintain data & link budgets for various radios & using appropriate simulation tools
- Lead design efforts for hardware & software validation & verification (V&V) frameworks
What You Bring:
- 10+ years of Sr-level engineering experience designing & maturing RF electronics to market, ability to review low-level design decisions & understand their impact to the larger system/mission
- 3+ years managing an on-site team of engineers
- Strong technical expertise in one or more of RF circuit, RF system, antennas, software defined radios, or signal processing/digital communication
- Strong understanding of RF test equipment & hands on lab experience testing complex RF systems
- Strong understanding of cross-team dependencies including EE, mechanical, thermal, structural, & space environmental effects
- BS in Electrical/Computer Science or similar work experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Altium or similar EDA tools, HFSS/ADS or other RF simulation tools
- Experience in Linux, Python, & data analysis
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty & ambiguity.
- Experience providing mentorship for engineers from diverse disciplines.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.