Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, & chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
We are a seeking a SVP / GM to lead Meetups core business, which accounts for close to 90% of the companys revenue. Reporting directly to the Meetup CEO, this critical role has full P&L responsibilities & will serve as the CEO of our core business. Youll have full decision-making capability & autonomy to determine & execute a long-term strategy for what we believe has the potential to be a billion dollar business.
This is likely one of the most impactful leadership roles in the company so if you are looking to be in the drivers seat, this is for you. Because of recent organizational changes, youll also have the opportunity to bring in top talent for VP-level roles focused on product, marketing, SEO, member engagement, pricing optimization & organizer retention. Youll direct a team of about 100 employees out of our NYC HQ, made up of engineers, designers, product managers, analysts & more. Some of these roles will be solid-line reports & others dotted-line, but all will be fully dedicated & under your direction.
What youll do:
- Be a key part of an executive team that is looking to meaningfully evolve its business model
- Have significant decision-making autonomy that will be driven by a combination of the analyses you drive but also your intuition the judgements you make
- Define & execute an aggressive revenue growth strategy for Meetups core subscription business driving acquisition & retention on both sides of the supply/demand marketplace
- Have a strong focus on growth outside the U.S., where we are already seeing significant momentum. Accelerating this momentum is critical.
- Build a roadmap that leads to success not just in 2019, but also for our next 2-3 years.
- Think deeply about the differing motivations of organizers by vertical & begin testing different strategies depending on type of Meetup (for example, tech Meetups, hiking Meetups, language acquisition Meetups each present wildly different organizer & member profiles).
Youre the ideal teammate if you have:
- 15+ years of experience working in direct-to-consumer subscription businesses and/or marketplaces
- Proven success as a General Manager where you have rapidly grown Revenue.
- Generally speaking, you understand why Revenue growth is so critical to a business & can orient fully around that priority while simultaneously having that growth fully support our mission & an improved user experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with key leaders across design, product, engineering & marketing to identify opportunities to drive revenue & engagement growth
- Real experience working on a two-sided marketplace
- A reputation for building, leading & inspiring awesome teams
- Deep experience working on consumer iOS & Android apps
- Extensive experience in lean product development & implementing lean processes throughout the organization
- Experience leading growth outside the US
- Interest in real change management, not just keeping the lights on
- The ability to foresee, analyze, interpret & rapidly respond to market changes by adjusting strategies & realigning priorities accordingly
- An obsession with continuously improving your teams capacity & capability to iterate quickly, fail fast, & deliver results
- A passion for bringing people together, creating community and changing lives
This is an exciting time to join as a Meetup executive. After 16 years of leadership by our Founder, we recently welcomed a new CEO to the company. We are now going through the process of re-evaluating our priorities & business model as we shift from a subscription business to a two-sided marketplace. Executives who join will be part of this highly dynamic strategy process that will impact our future for years to come. We are also a year into being acquired by WeWork, an amazing partner who continues to significantly invest in our growth.
Our team is bold, supportive, & passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, & building diverse, dynamic teams. We were recently acquired by WeWork, & the company is investing significantly in our growth. You in?