ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire an Editorial Assistant. This person will be the right hand to the Senior Director of Editorial Operations & a key support role for all members of theSkimms Editorial Team.
theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from differing media backgrounds, & we understand how to produce high quality journalism in theSkimms distinct voice. We're looking for a news junkie who will work closely with all editorial team members to: conduct research, write, fact-check, manage editorial calendars & web production, & assist with editorial operations/processes overall.
This is a perfect fit if you want to learn the ins & outs of online media & want to grow into a role on a fast-paced editorial team. He/She/They will report directly to the Senior Director of Editorial Operations.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Fact-check, write & produce editorial content for theSkimms product & platforms.
- Conduct research, including image research for editorial verticals
- Assist the Sr. Director of Editorial Operations in managing editorial operations, including the creation & management of editorial calendars, data analytics & content tagging, attending meetings & other administrative work.
- Be the assistant project manager on large editorial initiatives including tentpoles.
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 1 year of traditional or digital editorial experience
- Excellent writing & editorial judgment
- Experience with research & fact-checking preferred but not required
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission, & the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter & a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.