WHAT IS BOX?
Box is the market leader for Cloud Content Management. Our mission is to power how the world works together. Box is partnering with enterprise organizations to accelerate their digital transformation by creating a single platform for secure content management, collaboration & workflow. We have an amazing opportunity to further establish ourselves as leaders in the space, & we need strong advocates to help us achieve that goal.
By joining Box, you will have the unique opportunity to help capture a majority of this developing market & define what content management looks like for the digital enterprise. Today, Box powers over 98,000 businesses, including 67% of the Fortune 500 who trust Box to manage their content in the cloud.
WHY BOX NEEDS YOU
The Observability Platforms team provides an end-to-end experience enabling Box engineers by leveraging frameworks, tools, APIs & visualizations to better understand the behavior of features, services, & infrastructure they own & maintain. The team also helps educate product, infrastructure, & systems teams on how to appropriately monitor features & services they own, provide visualizations for monitoring distributed systems, give guidance for reducing operational overhead, & supports the delivery of unmatched availability to our customers.
We need a Sr. SRE with the experience of having designed, operated, & implemented Observability frameworks at a very large scale, & well versed in the operation of scaled architectures. You should have deep operational knowledge of distributed systems & how to avoid limitations through innovative design.
WHY BOX NEEDS YOU
The main focus of the Observability Team is to build frameworks & systems that can manage the performance of Box systems while scaling to billions of events per second. Additionally, we are responsible to standardize observability across engineering teams, drive designs for high performing services & foster great observability practices. We build, scale, & operate low-latency, high-throughput data systems that power high resiliency of Box Systems. You will help us execute on this vision & ensure that Box continues to ship scalable services that can hold against the high-performance expectation from our customers.
We are looking for big thinkers & innovators who have experience working with scalable distributed systems & have a passion for high performance & reliability. We are a small team with big ambitions that values impact & is not afraid of huge, gnarly problems. If this excites you, come join us!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- You will work on distributed, high-performance observability data pipeline to collect, transform & route logs, metrics & traces to various storage solution.
- Implement observability solutions using o11y products like Vector, Big Query, Prometheus, Open telemetry, log stash AppDynamics, Dynatrace, etc. to support centralized logging, APM, monitoring, alerting, & distributed tracing platforms.
- You will work on various cloud orchestration (terraform) & configuration management (puppet, Ansible) technologies to ensure efficient deployment of observability solution in Kubernetes Clusters in GCP, Bare-Metal & other deployment targets.
- Manage, maintain & scale the infrastructure responsible for telemetry frameworks used throughout Box's infrastructure, cloud services, & products to capture, transport, store & analyze the telemetry data. Scale the observability infrastructure to support petabytes of logs & billions of metric data points daily.
- You'll collaborate with other engineers on the team to foster solid engineering principles & represent our engineering values
- As a senior member of the team, you'll use both technical & relational skills to lead large scale projects to completion
- You'll collaborate, influence & drive for improvement across scrum teams
- You'll provide additional support & perform various pocs on new projects, frameworks for Observability
- Define & educate platform consumers on observability best practices from a SRE perspective.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, across partner teams, & ensure that were building the right systems
WHO YOU ARE
- You take an SRE-centric approach to everything you build/manage, ensuring reliability, availability & security
- You act like an owner & strive to do work you're proud of, both technically & in your team interactions
- You are a self-starter & a strong supporter of self service & automation within O11Y (Observability)
- Deep knowledge of OS system fundamentals (linux) & core internet technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, NAT, SDN
- Proven production service troubleshooting skills that span applications, systems & network within a primarily Linux environment
- Solid understanding of infrastructure automation tools (Puppet, Ansible, or the like)
- Experience in using industry standard DevOps CI/CD frameworks (Jenkins/Spinnaker, or the like)
- Solid experience in building automations, frameworks preferably with Python & Go
- Experience in running containerized services in Private/Public Cloud (GCP, AWS)
- Experience in building, managing metrics & data driven observability platforms & peripherals
- Experience in managing O11y (Observability) is a plus
- You have a fair understanding of technologies like Elasticsearch, Apache Storm or other DAG technologies, & streaming technologies like Kafka (pub/sub, or Kinesis).
- You have built distributed, high-throughput & low-latency systems with a strong focus on availability, resilience, & durability.
- Remote Friendly
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For details on how we protect your information when you apply, please see our Personnel Privacy Notice.