Communication has changed for people. Its changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycleacross acquisition, engagement, & support. Today more than 25,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, & so much more.
What's the opportunity?
Were looking for an experienced Design Manager in Dublin & in London to grow our people & products. Design Managers at Intercom directly support product Designers in delivering the best work they can while also working on high-level strategic design projects themselves. The opportunity to have impact at both of these levels is massive: youd be joining a small Design Leadership Team, so youll have very real ownership & potential to define the role & make your mark. At the same time, were not just starting outtheres a stable & mature environment & an existing base on which you can build. All together, youll have the opportunity to do the best work of your career.
We've had Designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning. This has made Design a core foundation of our company's DNA. This means that you'll never have to justify the importance of Design. We genuinely care about people & value kindness in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn & grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work here, check out intercom.design, read what makes us different, & listen to a podcast with our co-founder, Des & CEO, Karen. If youre passionate about helping Product Designers to grow & learn while shipping high-quality product that solves real problems for customers, we'd love to hear from you! By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don't let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing?
- Managing & supporting a team of passionate Growth Designers, working on four teams across the full customer lifecycle
- Coaching & providing feedback on your teams performance, helping them to develop clear career development goals & action plans on how to achieve them.
- Partner with core stakeholders in our Growth Group such as the Group Product Manager, Group Engineering Manager, Sales, Marketing & Customer Education, collectively ensuring that the group is strategically aligned, engaged, & delivering customer & business impact.
- Spearhead the creation of scalable Growth Design frameworks, strategically marrying design & business objectives.
- Reporting directly to our head of Product Design, & a member of our Design Leadership Group. Partnering directly with them to evolve the Growth Design team: our people, our structure, our processes, & our core beliefs.
- Collaborating with leaders across the company: other Growth leaders, Research, Data Analytics, Product Management & more.
- Growing Intercom Design by recruiting and, if you wish, representing us publicly in ways like writing for our blog, speaking, community building & outreach, & more.
What skills do I need?
- Experience managing a Growth Design team or working on growth-oriented projects.
- A passion for how the people who report to you perform, feel, & grow. The ability to develop a genuine relationship with people & help them succeed.
- Experience designing systems of growth across Onboarding, Engagement, Expansion & Retention. This isnt solely a people management roleyoull also be involved with & guide the product work, & influence group level strategy. All of our managers care deeply about & actively engage in our product development process, details, & outcomes.
- End-to-end expertise with Product Design & Growth Design. Our Growth designers identify as Product Designers that are especially analytical & business oriented systems thinkers. You dont need to be a specialist in all of these things, but you should be able to have informed, intelligent conversations.
- Ability to envision & lead change. There are many things that we still need to evolve & improve about how we work, & design managers are a key part in driving that change. Were looking for someone who aligns with our values, but also who brings fresh opinions & ideas about what makes us better.
- Passionate about building a world class Growth Design team.
We'd also love to see your portfolio of design work youve led or executed. It should touch on the problems you solved (ideally focused on designing software products) & the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If theres something important to you thats not on this list, talk to us! :)
Competitive salary & equity in a fast-growing start-up
We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods & a fully stocked kitchen
Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health & dental insurance for you & your dependents
Open vacation policy & flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
If youre cycling, weve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
MacBooks are our standard, but were happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people & we want to continue to attract & retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive & diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.