Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where & Why
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking an Employment Counsel to join our small but mighty team of employment lawyers. You will be our third employment counsel, reporting into the Sr. Director for Global Employment Law. We are looking for a highly collaborative, detail-oriented, & experienced attorney who has strong judgment & work ethic. You should be flexible, creative, & self-motivated, demonstrating a resourcefulness that will help drive work forward in Twilios high-growth environment.
Twilio is looking for an employment attorney who lives the Twilio Magic & has a demonstrated track record with state & federal employment law. You also will have:
- 4+ years of experience in labor & employment law;
- Broad expertise in employment law issues like wage & hour, role classifications, employee separations, & employee relations;
- An ability to bring a practical, business lens to difficult compliance questions;
- Confidence to raise an issue (legal or practical) if you spot one;
- Outstanding writing, speaking, & analytical skills; strong organizational & project management skills; and, a desire to work on cutting edge issues; and
- J.D. degree & membership in at least one U.S. state bar is required.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working with fast-paced technology companies;
- In-house experience through direct employment or via a secondment;
- Broad experience advising on California employment law issues like wage & hour, classifications, & sales compensation; and
- Some experience advising on employment issues outside of the U.S.
As an Employment Counsel, you will live the Twilio Magic values through your day-to-day work:
- BE INCLUSIVE: You will primarily support our People Team, with a focus on helping build & improve People processes & policies, & advising on matters that impact our Twilions.
- Support Twilios Total Rewards team on global compensation & benefits programs.
- Assist in managing external workforce initiatives & programs.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide counseling & support to Twilios HR Business Partners, Employee Relations Partners, & the business on employee terminations, performance management, investigations, accommodations, reorganizations, & other employment-related matters.
- DRAW THE OWL: Coordinate & manage employment related projects, including internal process reviews, new policy roll-outs & implementation, & training programs.
- BE AN OWNER: Review & advise on company policies & practices, such as recruiting practices, employment offers & agreements, sales compensation plans, & employee handbooks.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Keep informed of significant labor & employment trends & decisions, legislation & rulings.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Draft & coordinate responses to requests for employment records, demand letters, & government audits & investigations.
Twilios legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical & sound legal advice. Your unique skill set & experience are critical to help support our thriving & growing business & reinforce the trust & partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.