Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa's Global Tax department comprises a diverse group of over 40 professionals located throughout Visa's global offices spanning; Foster City, California, London, Miami, Dubai & Singapore. The Global Tax department manages both direct & indirect tax strategy, planning, reform, transfer pricing, controversy & compliance as a US multinational organization.
Visa is seeking a Director, Senior Tax Counsel to join its Asia Pacific (AP) Tax team in Singapore. This newly-created position will be a key tax legal adviser to the business in relation to contract review, deal structuring, & tax litigation matters to manage the effective tax rate & cash taxes for the AP region.
The role will report to the Vice President, Head of Tax - AP & partner closely with various Global Tax, Finance, Treasury, Legal, HR & Business teams.
- Engage directly with business partners, cross functional teams as well as external advisers to provide excellent real time tax analysis & deal structuring advice during negotiation of major client & vendor contracts
- Provide tax legal support for key projects & initiatives, including but not limited to business restructuring, M&A integration
- Provide legal counsel on the application of complex tax laws & rulings to resolve questions from the business & senior management
- Draft, review, & negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements from a tax risk management perspective, such as client incentive agreements, advertising & promotion agreements, sponsorship agreements, technology agreements, consultancy & contractor agreements, & confidentiality agreements
- Ability to create standard tax templates & clauses to expedite agreement drafting & improve time to market. This also includes development of template/standard documents or adapting existing documents to local requirements.
- Take responsibility for developing, implementing & updating tax documentation as required
- Participate as the "tax legal department" representative on various projects teams, steering committees & panels as & when the need arises
- Lead tax audit controversy matters for selected entities; partner with the cluster/country tax team leads to review tax litigation strategy for the region
- Assist in managing tax-related disputes with commercial parties where necessary
- Determine when external legal advice is required & instruct & manage external tax counsel to procure advice on various specialist tax legal matters in an efficient & cost-effective way. Translate external tax legal advice into practical business solutions for the applicable country or functional business units
- Perform legal research & analysis on tax regulatory developments across the region
- Proactively monitor & analyze newly enacted tax legislations in selected geographies & advise management on tax changes that will impact the business
- Follow tax digitalization trends & tax policy changes.
- Provide tax training to Finance or the business, where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Has excellent tax legal analytical skills with the ability to untangle & analyze complex tax issues & to integrate legal advice & business knowledge, while providing balanced, strategic advice regarding risks & benefits
- Has strong business acumen & creative problem-solving skills
- Able to connect multi-dimensional data & collaborate with others to carry out appropriate analysis & drive decision making in line with business objectives/insights, financial plans & tax regulations
- Communicates well (written & verbal); able to develop & present value propositions to stakeholders of various levels & abilities from a tax perspective
- A good PMO lead who is able to drive, execute & monitor the implementation of multiple projects, & addresses obstacles effectively
- Able to prioritize multiple responsibilities & activities & pivot quickly when necessary
- Willing to engage in a broad range of activities necessary to support the tax planning function
- Able to maintain effectiveness in an environment with uncertainties
- Operates at an expert tax adviser level & can learn & navigate technical/new concepts independently
- Go-getter; proactive & a team player
- Enjoys collaborating with others; constantly seeking to identify win/win solutions & align goals with Visa's strategic objectives
- At least ten years of experience gained in private practice and/or in-house with multinationals, with significant legal experience
- LLB Law degree required
- Bar qualification in an AP or Commonwealth jurisdiction required
- Direct/International tax expertise in multiple AP countries required; Indirect tax expertise preferred
- Experience in dealing with tax counsel, tax authorities & government agencies directly