What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), were unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the worlds first marketplace of our kind & founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users & more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students & teachers across the world. If you havent heard of TpT yet & want to learn more, just ask any teacher!
Who we are looking for:
Were a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers & learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. Its the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, & focused effort. We want every day to be fun & to matter.
As a Staff Security Engineer, you will be a force multiplier, enabling our teams to build safe & secure products for educators globally. In this role you will partner closely with teams that are rapidly iterating on our portfolio of products by developing the tools, patterns, frameworks & best practices that will enable us to deliver first-class data privacy & security in our products. As an expert in securing technical systems, you will also be called upon to provide valuable input into the selection, use & governance of internal systems & tools.
As part of this role you will work closely with senior leaders to iterate on a technical security strategy, define success criteria, & implement solutions - all while we continue to grow & scale our team & products.
- Responsible for setting a clear technical security strategy & roadmap that takes into account TpTs strategic direction & minimizes the overall cost of our security program
- Spearhead the implementation of technical controls & develop the tools, libraries, frameworks & best practices that will allow TpT engineers to build secure products at scale
- Own engineering-wide programs, such as periodic penetration testing, vulnerability management or bug bounty programs
- Provide an expert voice in prioritization discussions to ensure risks are adequately managed
- Contribute to & lead conversations about system design & architecture
- Track internal & external risks & trends to keep TpTers abreast of new developments, & translate this awareness into actionable plans for TpTs security roadmap
- Train & mentor engineers on web application security best practices & techniques
- Lead security incident response & recovery
- Define technical requirements based on our security obligations as well as from regulations including COPPA, FERPA & PCI. Guide our Engineering teams on how to best meet those requirements
- Ensure security & regulatory requirements are met, & that there is appropriate follow-through on security incidents & events
- Evaluate vendors & software to ensure they meet our security & data privacy standards
- At least 8+ years of relevant experience
- Experience building & architecting secure services at scale
- Experience with secure coding practices
- Track record of using qualitative & quantitative data to prioritize & drive decision-making
- Strong knowledge of potential web application security, including vulnerabilities & their mitigations
- Ability to communicate risks effectively with candor & empathy
- Experience with technologies we use in our stack including Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Chef, Node.js, React, AWS
Extra credit for experience with:
- OSS Contributor
- Knowledge of Ed-Tech
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually & collectively. To achieve our mission of Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best, we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are We Learn & Grow Together & We Enjoy the Journey. Weve committed to these values & to our employees through investing in added benefits & perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO & Wellness Days
- 5 Week Recharge Leave after 5 Years, to refresh & celebrate the impact youve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Mothers Room
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity & belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate & learn from each other
- Professional Development Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion & encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized & celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if youre a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.