Who We Are:
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps & graduates are prepared & confident in their job search. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role.
This is a full-time position based in New York City.
- Manages a robust pipeline of students & graduates through scalable & innovative programming initiatives, one-on-ones, employer engagement
- Responds to students & job seeker needs to identify challenges & mitigate areas of struggle to develop cohesive & intentional action plans
- Strives to understand & engage the local tech scene & incorporate this community & perspective as much as possible.
- Serves as an accountability & thought partner to students & local GA teammates (Instruction, Admissions, Marketing) & communicates a consistent, thoughtful, & unified message
- Delivers meaningful programs that meet the Outcomes Baseline Commitment & incorporates the 5 Themes to Outcomes Success to reinforce best practices & empower job seekers to lead a successful & strategic job search
- Job Coach & Career Counselor - Ensure all job-seeking students & graduates have a smooth transition from the classroom to job seeking & that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students & graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search & educational experience.
- Content Delivery - Educate students & graduates of immersive programs on skills needed to transition careers into tech & perform an effective job search in NYC. Lead both recurring one-on-one sessions & group facilitation based programming.
- Career Content Creation - Work with teams at GA that are responsible for curriculum to highlight updates as needed & create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in the curriculum & resource creation. Continuously innovate on career resources & programming.
- Internal Team Connector - Utilize & coordinate with GA community resources as needed to acquire additional educational opportunities (mock technical interviews, project feedback, etc.)
- Risk Management - Track student progress & highlight to teammates & stakeholders when a student isnt doing well or falling out of communication. Also, ensure that were putting quality, qualified grads into our community.
Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with the tech (software engineering, data science, UI/UX) landscape; previous experience working in some facet of the tech industry. Awareness of tech job market & breadth of opportunities.
- Passionate about education, technology, & careers.
- Previous higher education, tech recruiting or career counseling/coaching experience a plus.
- Comfortable presenting both one-on-one & delivering to a large group.
- Able to give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional & life backgrounds.
- Previous personal job search experience, & an ability to be relatable.
- Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community & to tailor lesson plans/meetings based on graduate needs.
- Able to manage large volume of requests & organize systems to keep track of students in various stages. Highly organized & data conscious.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others & can handle other peoples stress.
- Customer Focus
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Instills trust
- Ensures Accountability
- Communicates Effectively
- Drives Results