Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
The Verge is seeking a talented Senior Video Director to join our video team in creating thoughtful & dynamic non-fiction stories. Our video staff is part of The Verges editorial team; this is a job for storytellers & journalists above all. This position is based in San Francisco or New York.
The ideal candidate will be able to craft & produce cinematic moments while filming in a field or controlled studio setting, & will have extensive experience editing & elevating footage shot into clear & compelling narratives. Expertise in crafting stories into series & collaborating well with an editorial staff is a must. Experiencing producing a plus. Were looking for strong makers & storytellers people who have a passion for journalism & engaging in conversations about technology, science, entertainment, cars, politics, & design.
As a Senior Director, you will be a leader on our video tech team, developing & creating videos for YouTube, Facebook, & any new emerging platforms, & mentoring junior directors. The primary function of the candidate will be to develop, create, & elevate editorial series that enhance the brand of The Verge. This can include a variety of content types from short & engaging videos to long form deep dives. While collaboration with editorial is a core function of the role, it is also expected that the candidate will contribute to the reporting of stories as well. Enthusiasm, willingness to travel, an ability to juggle multiple projects, & initiative to kick-start projects in a busy work environment is a must.
What youll bring:
- 5+ years of professional experience in directing, shooting, & editing digital video
- Background in nonfiction storytelling / journalism
- Ability to chase, own, & follow up on compelling stories
- Strong collaboration skills a must
- Expertise in coaching & growing on-camera talent
- Adept at balancing production needs for serialized content
- High end shooting capability and familiarity shooting with the C100, C300, & Sony A7s II - & passion for finding the next best camera system
- Experience with high level lighting in controlled studio environments
- Ability to operate stabilizing rig including Glidecam & MoVI/Ronin
- Expert in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop
- Strong interest in all of the Verges coverage areas
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, & produce both new series & formats for our current programming
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.