BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
Business Area: Admin
Job Category: Legal
Salary: 70,000-80,000 USD
Union Status: Non Union
BuzzFeed Media Enterprises (the main operating division of BuzzFeed) is hiring a paralegal to work in the companys law department, based in the New York Metropolitan area or the Los Angeles area, to primarily support the commercial transactions, & business affairs functions.
- Support the Commercial Transactions function (approximately 50% of your time):
- Analyze, prepare, negotiate, & revise a high volume of contracts including non-disclosure, consultant, event partnerships & purchase of goods and/or services such as equipment, materials, supplies, & products, in accordance with company policies & legal requirements.
- Draft contract amendments, term extensions, overage letters, licenses & other short commercial agreements, provide first review of 3rd party redlines of contracts, & escalate to counsel as appropriate.
- Organize & manage an extensive legal database including tracking expiring agreements & follow-up on renewals with business partners, clients, vendors, & outside counsel.
- Keep track of requests from business partners, progress on finalization & receipt of completed agreements, with limited day-to-day supervision.
- Multi-task within & across projects, & prioritize & manage timelines effectively.
- Support the Business Affairs function (approximately 50% of your time):
- Handle rights & clearances for content production;
- Review content & flag clearance issues;
- Draft & review location agreements, appearance releases, materials releases, & music licenses;
- Advise productions teams on compliance topics; and
- Communicate with talent representatives.
- Complete other tasks, projects & matters as assigned.
- A four-year college degree.
- 4+ years experience as a paraprofessional at a law firm or corporate legal department, ideally with exposure to commercial transactions and/or business affairs matters.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Willingness to work physically in the companys Manhattan, New York, or Los Angeles offices as determined by your manager.
- Ability to travel domestically as necessary.
- You are organized.
- You possess the ability to think critically while providing research & administrative support.
- You pay careful attention to details & deadlines.
- You are discrete & can be trusted with confidential information.
- You are comfortable interacting with senior executive management.
- You can multitask & prioritize in a fast paced environment.
- You are diligent, proactive & collaborative.
- You possess a sense of humor.
- You carry yourself with humility, grace & professionalism.
- You are fun, upbeat & have a glass-half-full view of the world.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.