Senior Director, Medicinal Chemistry (ProteoVant Therapeutics)
Roivant is a global biopharma company improving health by rapidly delivering innovative medicines & technologies to patients. We do this by building Vants nimble, independent, entrepreneurial companies with a unique approach to sourcing talent, aligning incentives, & deploying technology. Roivant recently created a new Vant in Protein Degradation, ProteoVant Therapeutics, through the acquisition of a leading protein degradation company, the investment of its own capital & $200 million of outside capital, as well as the creation of an experienced management team to build ProteoVant into a leading, independent protein degrader company.
ProteoVant Therapeutics is a newly launched development-stage biotech company focusing on the discovery & development of disease-modifying therapies by harnessing natural protein homeostasis processes. We recently acquired numerous novel, protein degrader programs that are in discovery & preclinical development through our acquisition of Oncopia Therapeutics, a protein degradation company initially focused on oncology indications. Our lead program(s) in oncology may enter the clinic as early as late 2021. The company recently secured $200M in funding from SK Holdings in addition to investment from Roivant Sciences.
In addition to ProteoVants preclinical & discovery protein degrader programs & its deep relationship with the lab of Dr. Shaomeng Wang at the University of Michigan, Proteovant is enhancing its drug discovery engine to accelerate development by combining deep drugging expertise with innovative technology platforms including VantAI (Roivants AI platform) & Silicon Therapeutics (Roivants physics-driven drug design platform).
Our current therapeutic focus includes oncology, immunology, & CNS, with planned expansion into additional therapeutic areas in the near future. ProteoVant is rapidly expanding its discovery & development teams in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, DMPK, bioinformatics, toxicology & CMC at many levels. Our R&D organization is primarily located close to major pharmaceutical companies in the Philadelphia area where we are building state-of-the-art labs & office space. We also maintain offices in New York City, with remote work a possibility for certain positions.
For additional information on ProteoVant please see our one-page overview here
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Reporting to: Head of Pre-Clinical R&D & Chief Scientific Officer
- Drive medicinal chemistry efforts on multiple projects in oncology and other disease therapeutic areas
- Co-lead a drug discovery project team with a biology co-leader to drive every aspect of the project, including scientific decisions & budgetary proposals
- Responsible for the success of chemistry aspects of the drug discovery teams through individual contributions and by leading a chemistry team
- Contribute to, & drive, drug discovery programs as a senior level medicinal chemist working on a multidisciplinary project team including participation in design of target molecules
- Align the project goals with the expectations of chemistry department leadership & company goals
- Supervise internal medicinal chemists & lab-based synthetic chemists
- Supervise external chemists at overseas CROs to expeditiously deliver high quality & results-focused test compounds for biological evaluation
- Ph.D. in synthetic chemistry with 15+ years industry experience as a medicinal chemistry leader in a pharmaceutical or biotech company
- Demonstrated experience as a drug hunter who has taken projects from biological targets to delivery of development compounds
- Proficient & knowledgeable in SAR, FBDD, SBDD, DEL and protein degradation, yet possesses the intuition of a drug hunter
- Excellent organizational skills as an individual contributor & in leading or co-leading multidisciplinary drug discovery project teams are desired
- Organized, results-driven, detail-oriented & able to multi-task
- Recognized scientific innovation & accomplishment evidenced by strong record of publication & conference presentations