Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Growth Marketing Team
The Growth Marketing team is made up of acquisition & engagement marketers, CRO specialists, & marketing technologists to deliver over a billion dollars in business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. The team has close partnerships with product & brand marketing, analytics, engineering, creative & data scientists, all with the shared goal of building the largest & most sophisticated Growth Marketing program in the industry.
About the Role
The Director of Engagement Marketing is responsible for driving retention & engagement of customers & pros through email, push, SMS & in-app marketing channels. They are also responsible for providing support through the Marketing org via the Marketing Ops team & executing content strategy via the Content Marketing team. Reporting to the Head of Growth Marketing, this person will be a senior leader on the cross-functional Growth team & help shape the growth strategy for demand & supply.
- Map out & drive implementation of cross-channel lifecycle marketing strategies that increase customer & pro lifetime value across multiple channels including email, push, SMS, in-app & Intercom
- Establish a rigorous analytical framework & manage the reporting & performance of all lifecycle initiatives
- Partner with engineers & marketing technology team to build technical solutions for the engagement team
- Prepare & communicate team updates & performance to cross-functional teams & key business stakeholders
- Maintain customer database health & performance by creating automation, optimization, & segmentation strategies
- Be a strategic thinker, problem solver & communicator who is focused on building meaningful & impactful long-term relationships with customers & pros
- Lead, mentor, & manage a team of 7+ across lifecycle marketing, content marketing & marketing ops
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years experience in lifecycle, CRM, retention, or engagement marketing.
- 4+ years managing teams with a track record of advancing the careers of direct reports
- Track record of delivering demonstrable value to the business by developing & executing on an engagement marketing strategy from the ground up
- Expert knowledge of engagement marketing measurement approaches (attribution, incrementality), A/B testing strategies & test planning
- A deep understanding of the engagement marketing technology landscape & ability to translate business needs into technical requirements
- A great communicator who can tell the full story at all levels within the organization, bringing all stakeholders along with them
- Insatiable curiosity, dedication to life-long learning & a passion for staying ahead of the curve on new strategies & tactics. You possess a growth mindset, are intrinsically motivated by impact & possess a deep sense of ownership
- MBA or advanced degree
- Experience in a marketplace company and/or high-growth startup
- Basic SQL knowledge
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.