ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms Audio Production team is a creative, collaborative group of producers from both traditional & new media backgrounds. They maintain the highest standards for journalism & integrity in storytelling, while producing distinct content for theSkimms unique voice & brand.
As we grow, were looking for a news junkie & experienced Audio Producer to work with the podcast team at theSkimm. Reporting to theSkimms Senior Director of Audio, youll be responsible for pitching stories, fact-checking, sourcing & cutting audio, writing concise & ready-to-read scripts for theSkimms daily news podcast as well as audio deep dives. If you are a multi-talented self-starter with a sense of humor, who loves understanding the nitty-gritty of national & international news & explaining it over drinks to your friends, this job is for you.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Collaborate with the team pitching daily news stories, researching, fact-checking, & script writing in theSkimms brand voice
- Pitch, research, write & edit long form background pieces
- Produce audio with ProTools, including mixing & mastering the final podcast
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs experience in audio storytelling, preferably in a news- or news-adjacent setting
- Experience learning & writing in a specific brand voice
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before & after recordings
- Experience editing scripts
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears & react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Proficiency in cutting & mixing tape for audio publications
- Experience editing & mastering entire podcasts for distribution
- Experience field recording & on-air a plus
- Collaborative & creative spirit a must
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!