Senior Program Manager, Operations Excellence
At Flexport, we know global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. Flexport today connects more than 10,000 clients across more than 100 countries. Our role is to help businesses of all sizes find the global trade solutions that will empower their success.
After raising nearly 1B dollars from Andreessen Horowitz, Shopify, & other investors, Flexport is investing heavily into scaling its operations. The Operations Excellence (OE) team are the captains of this rocketship growth & central to Flexports success - building the people, processes, & products needed for the future of Flexport. The team's mission is to make Flexport the best freight operator in the world. We define, build, & execute the strategy to improve operations, foster a culture of continuous improvement, shape the metrics that drive our customer experience & our performance, & we partner with our technology team to build the future operating system for global trade.
We are looking for rockstar operations leaders to reach the next orbit. As a Senior Manager of Operations Excellence in our team, you will lead the highest-impact projects in the company. You will work on issues spanning from understanding what drives value for our customers to fixing operations problems at the root to setting the agenda for our engineering team. You will work on global projects spanning multiple teams & business units, & interact with stakeholders on all levels & across the whole company. In your role, you will design the work experience for Flexporters for the years to come.
Atlanta, GA; Bellevue, WA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; New York City, NY; San Francisco, CA
You want to:
- Help Flexport become the best freight operator in the world
- Work on some of the most important & difficult challenges the organization faces
- Be in the place to fix issues you observe & make a real difference for your colleagues in all teams at Flexport; give people the tools & skills to perform better at a fast growing business
- Work at the intersection of business, technology, & operations, learn how to navigate the trade-offs required, shape Flexport's operating system for the future
- Get exposure to a variety of topics, geographies, stakeholders to learn what's out there, learn how to build solutions that work, & bring teams together
- Grow as a leader: build your set of tools (e.g., continuous improvement), learn new leadership skills (e.g, working with diverse sets of stakeholders, influencing the company's agenda effectively), become a thought leader
- Build your network in the company
- Have fun as part of a high-performing team of creative leaders
- Design & implement how Flexport improves detention & demurrage performance (ultimate goal is to drive down the number of containers past last free day)
- Work with stakeholders across Client Solutions, Operations/Data Services, & Engineering/Product to develop & orchestrate the various solutions elements - define the mission, build a plan, drive execution, manage stakeholders, remove roadblocks, deliver results
- Partner with North American & Global Flexport senior leaders; drive & enable operations & customer service leadership to make improvements
- Manage a team of program managers; be a mentor for & coach other managers across Flexport to help develop some of the best talent in the organization
- Drive insights from key data sets; identify key business drivers; prioritize issues to be solved for yourself, your team, & Flexport
- Quickly become an expert for the topics you own; become a thought leader for Flexport in one or more areas of expertise; guide the Flexport leadership team in making decisions
- Learn, apply, teach, & promote operational excellence principles & tools
- Work closely with tech product teams to drive the product enhancements needed to reduce detention & demurrage
- Scale yourself through others: engage other Flexporters in problem-solving & project execution, build productive relationships, resolve conflicts constructively, mentor teammates
- Find creative solutions for issues; help other Flexporters use their creativity; drive playful solution of issues; drive continuous improvement
- Look beyond symptoms; identify root causes; build scalable solutions - so the problem stays fixed
- Help weave the fabric of Flexport through working across teams, geographies, & topics
- Work hard, have fun, make history
- At least 6-8 years of working experience, of which at least 4 years in consulting, business operations or project management, preferably in the logistics or software development industry or in a fast growing tech startup
- At Least 2 years of experience in managing teams in program or operations settings
- Bachelors degree or higher, ideally in a technical field (e.g., Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Supply Chain, Physics)
- Experience in process improvement-related topics
- An obsession with client happiness
- Curiosity, creativity & great problem solving skills
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic & reason require it
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills, the ability to build strong relationships & to influence without authority, & the ability to work with all levels in the organization to initiate & drive change
- Program management skills (set goals, manage delivery, create & measure impact)
- The ability to prioritize strongly
- Strong analytical skills, ability to handle data effectively; system-oriented thinking & end-to-end view of processes
- Strategic vision coupled with ground floor execution; energy, grit, & a little stubbornness to ensure the rubber actually hits the road
- The ability to lead & motivate a team of highly motivated, high performing individuals
- Self-starter, tolerance for ambiguity, willingness to go the extra mile
- A "compliance first" attitude to keep our regulators happy & enthusiastic about Flexport since we operate in a heavily regulated industry.
- Ability to travel
- Lean, Six Sigma, PMP, Agile, SCRUM, or Continuous Improvement experience
- Masters Degree or Ph.D. in a technical field (e.g., Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Supply Chain, Physics) or MBA
- Experience in translating business requirements into product roadmaps
- Experience in supply chain or logistics experience
- Experience in SQL, Python, Looker
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make it easy & accessible for everyone. Were shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology & exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizesfrom emerging brands to Fortune 500suse Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, were experiencing record growth & are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions & people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, & the environment? Come join us.
Our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.