Quick Take: Axios is a new digital media company that gets you smarter, faster with news that matters. We're hiring a visual journalist with a focus on data visualization!
Why it Matters: In this role, you will research & analyze data & create data visualizations for Axios website & newsletters. You will balance a mix of short- & long-term projects. Youll work closely with reporters & editors on a day-to-day basis, & frequently pitch ideas for visualizations that lead our reporting.
Go Deeper: For this role, we are very interested in speaking with folks who have a background in statistics & data science & who are interested in applying those skills in a journalistic context.If you dont have all the skills listed here, but are passionate about creating excellent visual journalism, you should still apply because we definitely want to talk to you!
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios mission & have the following skills:
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced work environment & openness to giving & receiving candid (but kind) feedback.
- Technical proficiency in working with data. You should have a good lay of the land in regards to what datasets are out in the wild & what they are good for. We dont really care which program(s) you use as long as you get results.
- A good sense of where data fits into news. Ideally, you will be pitching & producing data-driven stories & working with other reporters to help them hone their data skills.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter & cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, & diverse work culture
- Annual learning & development stipend