Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will lead global legal work across the business, with a focus on contracts. We are looking for an attorney with 6-8+ years of experience in the philanthropy, agency or internet sectors; non-profit & international law experience a plus.
- Collaborate with business leaders across Purpose to handle legal matters.
- Create & manage a network of international partners & specialists for in market expertise.
- Oversee contract administration & compliance.
- Develop training & legal risk management plans to senior management, & other partners at different levels.
- Implement best-practices in compliance, contracts management, intellectual property & data privacy.
- Help implement a legal strategy to support the business in relation to agreements & projects.
- Researching legal & practical matters relevant to Purposes business as needed, keeping up to date on all relevant regulatory & legal developments in the Social Impact/Agency space, & creating & managing an internal legal knowledge base.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, manage & track the timelines & completion of multiple projects, & work under deadlines.
- Demonstrate sound judgment in ambiguous situations & a willingness to seek additional input.
- Ability to think about legal issues in a practical & interdisciplinary way with a focus on solutions; able to work well independently, but enjoys being part of a team in an agile & non-rigid organization; willing to take direction & prioritization when called for.
- Highly developed legal drafting, analytical, research, communication, & organizational skills.
If these are things that get you out of bed in the morning we want to hear from you:
- Constantly thinking about how to make the world a better place
- Questioning & refining the most engaging, entertaining & relevant way to tell stories that move hearts & minds
- Talking about how false narratives are distributed & get scaled in broader culture
We encourage people to apply if you are excited about Purpose & this roles mission. In order to succeed in this role, these are some of the skills & qualities you bring to bear:
- 6-8+ years of experience in non-profit, philanthropy or agencies, with a background of independently advising clients in relation to commercial transactions.
- Knowledge of legal principles in relation to contract law, intellectual property, licensing, fair use, right of publicity, privacy, website accessibility & dispute resolution.
- You are commercially-minded & can succinctly articulate legal advice.
- You can design & implement processes without being bureaucratic.
- You are a natural collaborator.
- You are comfortable working with all levels of management & negotiating with external partners
- You have well-developed prioritization skills given the likelihood of dealing with multiple projects at any one time.
Purpose is an equality opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.