Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features & a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms & industry veterans such as Peter Thiel & Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, & were looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. As a risk scientist, you will leverage your modeling & engineering experience to mitigate risk. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven & diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We are looking for people with a strong background in data modeling & engineering who can independently solve ill-defined data challenges from end to end. You should be technical, & be able to quickly pick-up new engineering skills needed. You should also be a strong communicator, able to work with internal stakeholders to take your projects to completion.
- Design & implement models used to underwrite customers, minimize fraud & detect malicious behavior
- Apply statistical models on large datasets to accurately identify attribution & have measurable results.
- Contribute to the design & growth of our machine learning platform
- Design, execute, analyze, & interpret the results of experiments across our product.
- Alongside business stakeholders & engineers, reconcile crucial data integrity issues.
- Maintain a strong data driven culture within the company by interacting with diverse internal functions.
What We Value:
- Experience with credit underwriting or fraud models or domain knowledge in the financial space.
- Expert knowledge of scientific computing languages (e.g. Python, R) & SQL.
- Desire to have very high impact through evaluation of commercial risk.
- Ability to devise creative workarounds to difficult project roadblocks.
- Strong communication skills & having worked with different business functions.
- Ability to relentlessly chase down data integrity issues to their root cause.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise & backgrounds (we currently have over 15 nationalities represented, with more than the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Data at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, & as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Data scientists are expected to understand the business & have input towards our long term vision.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors & managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable & autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach & constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership & accountability for what theyre building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up & help us get to the truth faster.
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on & what matters to you (personally & from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resum. Be genuine, not official.