We're looking for a Director of PR (US) to lead strategic communications for Away in the US. Youll partner closely with the Director of PR (International) to help build & promote the public image of Away. Youll strategically plan for the long-term while managing tactical execution in the short-term, driving the earned media strategy for Aways brand & business news throughout the US.
You will report directly to the Senior Director of Communications & Social Impact & work from our headquarters in Soho, NYC.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Strategy + Vision: Develop & drive PR strategies to build, develop, & elevate quality awareness of Away that drives ongoing customer acquisition, engagement, & loyalty. Youll clearly articulate the high-level, big-picture vision for PR, & map out a monthly & quarterly plan to get there, effectively coaching a best-in-class PR team.
- Team Development + Coaching: Internally, youll develop a high-performing team by providing the context on our teams purpose & goals to ensure alignment, & identifying opportunities for our team to learn & grow. Externally, youll lead strategy & support our agency partners to maximize our overall impact.
- Goal Setting + Reporting: Develop a reporting system & accountability framework for tracking against our goals.
- Writing: Guide & approve teams development of consistent messaging & proof points to use in communications materials, presentations, executive interview prep, social media, media pitches, etc.
- Event Management: Oversee execution of PR-related events, approve concept & deliverables (in coordination with the Creative & Brand Marketing teams where applicable), as well as vendors, target attendees, product assortment, messaging, & budget.
- Media Relations: Serve as a company media contact & build key relationships by identifying the most appropriate & influential reporters.
- Internal Counsel: Act as a strategic advisor to management as it relates to our external reputation.
- Crisis Preparedness: Serve as day-to-day lead on issues related to overall crisis communications, flagging possible vulnerabilities & potential consequences, & establishing & maintaining a Crisis Communications protocol program (response systems, internal training, etc.).
- Executive Support: In partnership with the Director of Executive Communications, train & prepare company spokespeople for public speaking engagements, media interviews, & other opportunities as well as manage materials that support this work.
- Budget Management: Manage teams finances, including team hours, planning & budgeting, etc.
Stakeholder Relations: Day-to-day lead on stakeholder relations, ensuring our key stakeholders are up-to-date & supported.
Who You Are:
- You have at least 8 years of experience at a public relations agency or as a senior member of an in-house public relations / communications team.
- You have demonstrated experience developing brand platforms & narratives for high-growth emerging brands, & turning these narratives into effective media coverage.
- Youre a coach whos able to drive a vision. You can motivate a team to rally behind a vision that hasnt been realized, invigorating them to implement systems, structures, & policies that build toward a bigger picture.
- Youre a strategic thinker. You can focus the team & company resources on efforts that add significant strategic value & long-term advancement to our communications goals.
- Youre a relationship builder & a media relations pro. Youre able to easily identify & collaborate with key target media as well as internal stakeholders, including broadcast.
- Youre creative. Youre able to conceptualize newsworthy moments, develop story ideas even when the hook isnt obvious to most, & follow through with pitches that land great media.
- You maintain calm under pressure. As the day-to-day lead for crisis communications, youre comfortable & are able to advise senior leadership through tough situations (social media issues, customer service issues, management changes, litigation, or other special situations).
- Youre a skilled writer & editor, comfortable developing content for a variety of platforms (print, digital, etc.) & purposes (Q&As, statements, talking points, or media pitches). Youre a clear, concise communicator, with samples to share.
- You have excellent verbal communication skills & youre great under pressure, possessing the ability to act as a company spokesperson, with on-the-record experience in both print & broadcast media interviews.
- Youre a natural partner. Youre able to work seamlessly with other teams internally, as well as agency partners externally to ensure alignment with success against multiple goals.
- You care about results. Youre able to measure success & report on whats working & whats not so we can iterate & improve on a regular basis.
- You know your audience. Whether youre speaking to CNBC about our company growth or to Vogue about style that travels well, you know how to translate the voice of the brand & the founders into something people will listen to.
- Youre creative & business-minded & know how to talk to both sides of the table. Sometimes at the same time.
- Youre aware of the latest trends in media & culture & have a wide network of media & brand contacts in both domestic & international markets.
- Ability to confidently interact with senior leadership & provide timely feedback & advice.
- Experience managing several projects & competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintaining positivity & poise in even the most stressful situations.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!