Who We Are:
At Convene, we're building a company that embraces visible & invisible diversity, encourages healthy integration of personal goals & professional development, & fosters community. Our team's evolution, values & culture have been at the forefront of what we do since our founding. With the meetings & office market growing rapidly & showing no signs of stopping, we are constantly evolving & growing our offerings from hosting meetings & events to providing a full suite of offerings for flexible co-working spaces.
Who You Are:
Convene is looking for a motivated Real Estate Counsel to report directly to the Vice President, Legal. This role provides legal counsel on leasing, management & real estate transactional matters. The ideal candidate will have strong contract drafting skills & be business savvy with a firm grasp of both legal & financial concepts. This is a position that is perfect for a highly qualified lawyer looking to transition to an in-house opportunity with high growth potential.
The legal team at Convene is a small but growing team that acts as a trusted, strategic advisor to senior leadership & provides support for all aspects of the companys expansion. As one of its first hires, you will play an integral role in developing & expanding the legal function within Convene.
What Youll Do:
- Build the internal real estate legal function at Convene
- Negotiate, draft & structure lease & occupancy agreements for Convene projects in the US & internationally
- Negotiate, draft & structure management agreements for Convene Managed Workplace
- Negotiate, draft & structure construction & design agreements
- Provide day-to-day counseling to internal business teams on complex real estate, development, risk management & dispute resolution issues
- Manage outside counsel in the drafting & negotiation of lease agreements, construction & design agreements & other development documents
- Identify opportunities for internal process improvements & implement them
- Resolve disputes that arise during the development of a project
What We Look For:
- 5+ years previous Real Estate experience at a top-tier law firm or in-house (a combination of both is preferred)
- Leasing & other broad transactional experience preferred
- Member of the NY Bar in good standing.
- D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school (or L.L.M. with U.S. law firm experience).
- Extremely strong organizational skills & the ability to manage competing priorities under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills.
- Patience & demonstrated ability to distill legal concepts & communicate effectively with a non-legal audience required.
At Convene, were changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design & service the next generation office building one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated workplace-as-a-service platform gives building tenants & enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting & event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, & curated experiences for users, all connected by Convenes proprietary technology platform.
- Founded in 2009
- Locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., & Los Angeles; Opening in Chicago in 2018 & plans to expand globally
- Launched Convene Workplace in 2017
- Ranked #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- Ranked #30 in 2017 LinkedIn Annual List of Industry Disruptors
- 2018 Great Places to Work US
- 2018 Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces NY
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together were building a culture that embraces diversity & learning, humility & gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously & strive for a healthy integration between work & personal pursuits.
Benefits You Can Expect as A Convene Employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO & family leave
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growthHave a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it. Each employee is required to have 65 hours of learning per year
- Excellent health coverage for team members & their families
- Supportive work environment & a leader who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions & hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive & diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer & welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities & perspectives.