Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The goal of the Online Career Coach is to ensure students in General Assemblys immersive programs are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps once they graduate from the program. The Career Coach plays an essential role in ensuring that graduates are prepared for & confident in their job search. This role is a balance of leading students to meet the requirements to become a qualified jobseeker, developing & delivering our remote specific career development curriculum specific to each tech discipline it supports, & ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in their new fields of study that they are passionate about in a timely manner.
- Manages a robust pipeline of students & graduates remotely through scalable & innovative programming initiatives, one-on-ones, employer engagement
- Responds to students & job seeker needs to identify challenges & mitigate areas of struggle to develop cohesive & intentional action plans
- Strives to understand & encourage the seeker to be active in their local tech scene & incorporate this community & perspective as much as possible.
- Serves as an accountability & thought partner to students & remote GA teammates (Instruction, Admissions, Marketing) & communicates a consistent, thoughtful, & unified message
- Delivers meaningful programs that reinforce best practices & empower job seekers to lead a successful & strategic job search
- Coach & Counselor - Ensure all job-seeking students & graduates have a smooth transition from class to job seeking & that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students & graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search & educational experience.
- Content Delivery - Educate students & graduates of immersive programs on skills needed to perform an effective job search. Lead both recurring one-on-one & group based programming remotely.
- Content Creation - Work with teams at GA that are responsible for curriculum to highlight updates as needed & create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in the curriculum & resource creation.
- Creativity & Innovation Management - Work with the Online team to develop & grow our global remote outcomes program
- Internal Team Connector - Utilize & coordinate with GA community resources as needed to acquire additional educational opportunities (mock technical interviews, project feedback, etc.)
- Risk Management - Track student progress & highlight to teammates & stakeholders when a student isnt doing well or falling out of communication. Also, ensure that were putting quality, qualified grads into our community.
- Motivating Others:Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports & team or project members; can assess each persons hot button & use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks & decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person & shares ownership & visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for & with.
- Managing Vision & Purpose:Communicates a compelling & inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts & symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire & motivate entire units or organizations.
- Innovation Management:Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas & suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Managing & Measuring Work:Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks & decisions; sets clear objectives & measures; monitors process, progress, & results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Organizing:Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively & efficiently arranges information & files in a useful manner.
- Listening:Practices attentive & active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Patience:Is tolerant with people & processes; listens & checks before acting; tries to understand the people & the data before making judgments & acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process & proper pacing; follows establishedprocess.
- Presentation Skills:Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small & large groups, with peers, direct reports, & bosses; is effective both inside & outside the organization, on both cool data & hot & controversial topics; commands attention & can manage group processes during the presentation; can change tactics midstream when something isnt working.