Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role
Our Payload Group is looking for a Computer Vision Software Engineer to help us operate, optimize, & further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space! We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations & development for our earth observation payload. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, & product engineering teams within the Space Systems Division. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, science, systems engineering, & operations.
Impact Youll Own:
- Developing, validating & automating image quality & payload performance metrics
- Troubleshooting image quality issues & developing long-term mitigations & improvements
- Developing & deploying new imaging pipelines & architectures
- Contributing to the design & modeling of new imaging systems & operating modes
- Collaborating with satellite operations, imaging pipeline, hardware (optics/EE), & embedded software teams
What You Bring:
- A passion for photography, Earth sciences, & geography
- 3+ years of relevant experience in computational photography & scientific imaging
- Relevant experience with image processing methods & quality assessment of image data
- Experience leveraging scientific Python in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to develop & automate novel imaging algorithms
- Familiarity with source code management tools
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, & ability to collaborate effectively
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra & Physics foundation
- BS/MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 3+ years GIS, remote sensing, photogrammetry, or mapping work experience
- Experience with line scanner data
- Experience with multispectral or hyperspectral imaging systems & image data
- Experience with developing of imaging conops & image processing techniques for new sensors from scratch
- Knowledge of camera hardware concepts
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nations with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse & inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within & outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs & flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment & wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers & discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.