Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE VOICES INCUBATOR
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) launched Grand Challenges to bring the worlds brightest minds together to solve our worlds most pressing challenges. By investing in small-grants & holistic support, the Challenges foster innovation & experimentation for social impact. The Voices for Economic Opportunity Grand Challenge was launched to address the persistent toxic narratives about poverty in the U.S. In addition to providing $100,000 to each Grand Challenge Participant, BMGF is partnering with Purpose to design & support the Voices for Economic Opportunity Incubator.
The Voices Incubator provides resources for participants around community & collaboration, learning & training, & testing & experimentation to support the creation of breakthrough creative, scalable & strategic interventions that begin to shift harmful narratives on poverty & economic mobility in America.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Senior Director of Applied Data Science to join our diverse team.
One of the key offerings of the Incubator is to support participants to test & iterate their narrative change projects to change peoples hearts & minds about poverty in America. Senior Director of Applied Data Science would be a key architect of the Incubators testing framework that will support innovative narrative change projects for 28 participants, ranging from national nonprofits to legal funds to local organizers. The Senior Director of Applied Data Science is responsible for developing the testing, measurement & evaluation program for the Incubator, & would manage our research & distribution partnerships, & get to work alongside a cross-disciplinary team of campaigners, strategists, & creatives to support a range of participant projects. The Incubator will provide a range of testing resources, & the Senior Director, along with the Director & other Voices leadership, will develop insights & analysis that can be shared & used by participants to create scalable narrative change projects.
Were looking for someone who has designed & developed experiments that can be scaled to reach large audiences & change peoples hearts & minds. The ideal candidate is someone with a background in politics, public mobilization, or brand communications who is skilled at working with diverse collaborators & is adept at translating data & communicating actionable insights to a wide range of audiences.
The Senior Director of Applied Data Science will work alongside a team of program managers, campaigners, strategists & creatives, & will have the opportunity to help build a team to lead on experimentation, learning & evaluation across Purpose. The Voices Incubator will serve as a model for codifying Purposes approach to measuring narrative change, & the person in this role will be charged with bringing those lessons to help build new, innovative approaches to measuring impact for the organization.
We're looking for team players with passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, & an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
The role reports to Keno Sadler, Senior Director of Labs, & is based in Purpose's New York office.
If these are things that get you out of bed in the morning we want to hear from you:
- Constantly thinking about how to make the world a better place
- Questioning & refining the most engaging, entertaining & relevant way to tell stories that move hearts & minds
- Talking about how false narratives are distributed & get scaled in broader culture
- Play an integral role on the Voices Incubator team to develop, refine, & manage our testing & evaluation framework
- Support the Voices team to help create frameworks & templates to best support participants in their testing journey
- Work closely with vendors on crafting primary research deliverables, & identifying other opportunities to provide low-cost, high quality feedback to inform participant projects
- Manage the synthesis of various research & testing streams into key insights & findings for various audiences (participants, research partners, & funders)
- Work closely with funders, & other key stakeholders in developing testing, measurement, & evaluation approaches
- Lead on developing the experimentation, learning & evaluation practice at Purpose to support Labs & other relevant project work
- Manage direct reports & help build a global Experimentation, Learning & Evaluation team at Purpose
- Lead on developing & testing new models of experimentation, impact measurement, & evaluation
- Support existing Labs & Agency projects on strengthening their experimentation, learning & evaluation programs
- Develop a set of Purpose IP on experimentation, learning & evaluation that can inform project work, business development, & thought leadership
Skills & Experience:
We encourage people to apply if you are excited about Purpose & this roles mission. In order to succeed in this role, these are some of the skills & qualities you bring to bear:
- Likely around 10-15 years experience in data & analytics; we are particularly seeking people with experience in the political advocacy, organizing, digital activism, public policy, or creative campaigns sectors
- Extremely capable project manager with ability to handle competing deliverables & serving multiple stakeholders (partners, clients, campaigns)
- Experience building & managing teams
- Experience designing & implementing project or program evaluations through a variety of research methods, including conducting qualitative & quantitative audience research; designing & implementing digital tests & experiments is particularly important
- Strong written & verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex issues for a wide audience
- Demonstrated Track record of learning new tools, technologies, & frameworks
- Passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, & an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit
- Excited to work with highly diverse teams
- Committed & aligned with Purposes value in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) & have demonstrated your commitmentI through professional and/or personal space.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equality opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.