Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US & we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
Our B2B product engineering team, Dealer Solutions, is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join the team in Cambridge, MA. On the Dealer Solutions team, youll own a product suite that contributes a major revenue stream to the core business. Youll manage two squads of engineers, one focused on product development while the second is focused on a shared service. Potential project opportunities: creating algorithms to categorize vehicle attributes, AB testing to lead distribution, creating interfaces on top of third-party APIs, creating micro-services to improve application scalability & flexibility, & building solutions in collaboration with our San Francisco-based subsidiary, AutoList.
What Youll Do:
Leadership: Were seeking an individual who embodies CarGurus Leadership Principles to build a culture where inclusiveness is a reflex, not an initiative. We envision a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potential to work every day where they dont just fit, they thrive.
- Lead yourself: Our leaders are intentional about how they show up, manage themselves, & take responsibility for their decisions & the impact they have on others.
- Create a shared purpose: Our leaders tap into motivation by aligning people around a common purpose. They connect strategy & success by focusing their teams on clear objectives & helping people understand how their individual roles contribute to our collective Mission.
- Inspire ownership & accountability: Our leaders create a shared commitment to success & therefore a mutual accountability for results. They enable & empower other but know when to roll up their sleeves & provide support. The best leaders develop more leaders.
- Communicate openly: Our leaders communicate proactively & transparently about goals, challenges, & opportunities. They listen with the intent to understand. They seek opportunities to collaborate across the business.
- Invest in growth: Our leaders embody a growth mindset. They challenge themselves & their teams to be curious & actively seek opportunities for learning & improvement, even when its uncomfortable.
- Cultivate environments of respect & trust: Our leaders care about people. They value diverse perspectives & are committed to building a culture where everyone can show up as themselves & do their best work together!
Influencing & inspiring engineers will be paramount in the success of this role! You will facilitate cross-team collaboration between multiple engineering teams, Product Management, UX Design, Analytics, Sales, Operations, & Customer Success. You will use your leadership expertise to drive groups with disparate interests to decisions, seeing these through to impact. You will be able to help make pragmatic decisions, balancing strategic & tactical needs. You will help Senior Leadership manage engineering risk & make sure we are making the right trade-off calls.
Technical Expertise: This is a player coach role in which you will be an important influence to core projects & experimental work. When presented with a complex problem, process, or existing system, you can reduce its complexity to get more done with less work. You will collaborate with tech leads & engineers throughout the organization to provide technical guidance. Your technical guidance will mean team members working with you will feel like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they arrived with & will have learned something along the way.
- Lead whiteboard sessions & architecture design conversations while engineering a solution to the challenges at hand.
- Ensure your team writes clean, well-tested, & efficient code.
- Collaborate with product management, data analysts & other engineers to identify & scope opportunities
- Contribute to roadmap & OKR setting
- Make data driven decisions
- Monitor & improve upon the performance of products & solutions
- Be an owner of critical pieces of software
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of product software development experience
- 1-3 years of leadership experience
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational database
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- People focused technical leader with high Emotional Intelligence
- Excellent collaborator with demonstrated experience working in a cross-functional team including Product, Design, Analytics
- Excellent communicator who can tailor message based on audience which can range from junior engineer to senior business leader to third-party vendor
- Detail oriented leader who makes data driven decisions
Please keep reading...
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada & the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA & London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.