BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is hiring for a Risk & Security Manager to support BuzzFeeds mission to spread truth & joy amidst a complex media landscape both in America & abroad. The Risk & Security Manager will work closely with our news teams, producers & other content creators to address digital & physical risks, craft mitigations, provide project oversight & incident management, as well as to provide training & guidance.
The Risk & Security Manager will report into the Director of Risk Management, but will be embedded within our teams of producers, journalists & content creators. Were looking for someone who can create best practices, advise on policy & build process around emergent threats, but will always go the tactical extra mile for the project whether its by reducing an individuals risk of online harassment, ensuring someone has the correct PPE, securing a compromised account, or reach out to a field producer for that end-of-day check-in. The ideal candidate will possess strong judgment, an analytic approach, & keen emotional intelligence. Professional experience in news or media is a bonus but not requisite. We are looking for forward-thinkers that will enable BuzzFeed to meet the risks of tomorrow to a global news & media company.
- Serve as a subject matter expert & thought-partner with our teams to understand the risks inherent to a particular project, & how they apply to BuzzFeed Inc, our staff & mission.
- Work & think dynamically alongside our content, production & news staff to determine what digital & physical protocols are necessary to mitigate risks while achieving the project goals.
- Partner with legal, IT, tech & comms to escalate & communicate risks, & build consensus for a holistic approach to risk management.
- Develop effective risk management programs for emergent threats in collaboration with a broad range of internal stakeholders across the company.
- Lead the creation & implementation of physical & digital security training curricula that provide professional growth & improve team resilience.
- Provide overwatch oftentimes outside of normal working hours to our teams in the field, & serve as a first responder to any incident that might occur.
- Seek out, investigate, analyze & assess any specific threats against BuzzFeed, staff & freelancers.
- Follow trends in digital security, the media threat landscape, available technologies & vendors.
- Actively participate in industry working groups to improve the collective security posture for news & media organizations.
- Be a compassionate listener & source of support for those facing harassment, threats, or in the midst of an emergency incident.
- Act as a source of sound judgement & trusted counsel to decision-makers on time-sensitive, operational decisions.
- Training or practiced knowledge in risk assessment, threat analysis & end-user digital security.
- Demonstrable experience conducting online or physical incident management for situations that could impact the safety or wellbeing of individuals.
- Professional history of advocating for risk management strategies, & building a successful organizational consensus to implement.
- A fluent knowledge of Internet culture, the American media landscape & relevant threat actors, e.g. criminal entities, nation-state actors & extremist organizations.
- An entrepreneurial, self-directed work ethic thats always striving to improve the way things are done.
- An eagerness to learn about the physical & digital risk management practices that help drive a story or production forward, while having a strong confidence in your analytic capabilities.
- A strong sense of discretion but understand the need to give generously with other media organizations to improve our collective security.
- A background working in media, news, film production, security or other mission-driven organizations that operate in challenging contexts preferred.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.