Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free investing in stocks, ETFs, options, & cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage with millions of users & billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), & was named Fast Companys 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). Were backed with $539 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, Sequoia, & KPCB, & were most recently valued at $5.6 billion. Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, & Lake Mary, Florida.
As our Brokerage Tax Associate you'll:
- Maintain customer tax information for the purposes of monthly statements & annual tax reporting.
- Possess knowledge of the IRS regulations that govern withholding & information reporting regulations (i.e. FATCA, backup withholding & NRA).
- Serve as a subject matter expert associated with Tax Withholding & Reporting.
- Be responsible for data preparation & reporting processes.
Some things we consider critical to being our Brokerage Tax Associate:
- Research & maintain withholding rate for all US states & foreign territories
- Remit all withholding to state & federal taxing authorities
- Determine the tax implications for corporate actions such as Mergers, Spin-Off Distributions, Exchange Offers, & Bankruptcies
- Affect the creation of tax forms (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV etc.) & making those documents available to customers via paper or e-delivery as well as sending the data to tax authorities
- Withhold any capital gains or other distributions as required by state or federal law, make payments of these withholdings to the proper tax authority
- Review issues from external business partners & determine an appropriate course of actions to find a solutions
- Facilitate the processing of annual tax forms by reconciling tax data, validating exceptions & working with external vendors.
- General understanding of brokerage operation
- Strong self-starter with ability to work independently
- Strong data query skills
- Solid communication & analytical skills with a proven ability to develop effective relationships with external & internal business partners
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities & adapt to changing environment
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in Accounting, Finance or Economics
- 2+ years experience working in the financial services industry, preferably a Clearing Broker/Dealer environment, with an emphasis on retail tax reporting
- Familiarity brokerage operations
- Knowledge of federal & state tax laws & regulations
- FINRA Series 7 or ability to attain within six months
Note to Recruiters & Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Robinhood prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Robinhood is not liable for & will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Robinhood & may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.