About Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Job
Rent the Runway is seeking a Design Director/ Art Director to join our Creative team. You will be responsible for the Rent the Runway visual design identity, setting the design standards & overseeing its application across all channels, both in practice (ie directly executing design work) as well as in oversight (ie overseeing the creative executions of the Visual Design team). Executions of the Rent the Runway visual design system (digital & print) include but are not limited to the following channels: Paid, Email, Social, Site, App & print). You will work in concert with our Art Director & VP - Creative & Production to ensure that the visual design standards are both upheld as well as evolved & refined over time. In addition you will be tasked to art direct occasional shoots & ideate video concepts across marketing & editorial channels to promote RTR through contemporary imagery & storytelling. Passion for visual design, strong typographic & layout skills as well as nurturing, growing & inspiring the creative team.
What Youll Do
- Work closely with Cross-Functional Channel Leads (Marketing, Content & UI/ UX team.) to vet & digest the design briefs & execute against those briefs in a timely fashion.
- Build & evolve a cohesive visual identity to help drive faithful execution against a style guide across channels to enhance the RTR brand experience.
- Create & refine existing visual design systems/ templates that promote consistency of visual design within each channel (Email, Paid, Social, Retail, Presentation, Site & App).
- Oversee & manage the design output for a team of visual designers, working closely with them to understand their strengths & opportunities & coach them in their development as designers as well as help setting & achieving career goals.
- Partner closely with Team Leads to ensure strong communication between Visual Design, Content & Art Direction.
- Art direct shoots & videos across both marketing & editorial.
- Conceptualize & present creative campaign ideas through moodboards & mockups.
- Review designs daily to ensure consistency & standards in execution.
- Partner with PM, Creative, to keep improving processes for visual design execution.
- Be up to date on consumers, cultural & design trends & foster creative curiosity.
- Bachelors degree in communication/ graphic design & a minimum of 10+ years of experience in visual design/ multi-disciplinary AD role for in-house brands or agency.
- Strong understanding of design principles, layout & best practices across digital, UI/ UX, print, & a desire to continually strengthen that understanding.
- Excellent typography skills & an extreme attention to detail.
- Art Direction experience within fashion
- Passion for management & mentorship of creative talent.
- Well organized & solutions-oriented.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment yet maintaining the highest design standards.
- A collaborative team player with an interest in learning from & listening to others.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (working in Sketch is a bonus)
- Solid understanding of best UI/ UX practices.
- Past experience working in luxury or fashion
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.