Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments & insights to supercharge reading engagement & learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than five years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, all 50 U.S. states, & over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readersand engaged readers are better learners.
In 2019, Newsela will be expanding its internal data capacities & created a well defined & well-documented data warehouse. The Director of Data Warehouse will lead & oversee the team of people who own this work. Additionally, the role will oversee & bring the Data Engineering & Business Intelligence teams into one working group. You will work closely with business & technical stakeholders as well as Analysts & Data Scientists to help ensure they have easy access to the data they need to help deliver impactful analysis.
The successful candidate is a natural leader, is organized, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial & loves working with technical & non-technical users alike.
Some examples of projects:
- Oh no! We have multiple databases of schools that we need to get to work together. Figure out how to intelligently deduplicate & map the data sets together so that our Sales team know who theyre talking to.
- Weve got numbers user actions taking place on the site & need to develop a functional data model to allow Product managers the ability to use Looker to explore the dataset & understand how & where users are dropping out of a funnel.
Lead a team in writing thoughtful code, building & documenting data models & providing easy access to data & insights.. Work with our Product, Data Science, & Revenue teams to create & maintain various kinds of analytical services & data systems. Build out our data infrastructure, which includes ingestion, storage, & analysis at scale, as well as the reporting systems used by analysts throughout the company. Act as the primary owner for the technical layer of our data systems, which currently include various items within the AWS stack as well as Luigi for our ETL framework
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelors degree in a technical discipline.
- 5+ years experience in building, developing & documenting data warehouse systems & teams.
- Has experience with technologies like (we use AWS mostly, but equivalents are fine)
- data pipelining & ETL (e.g. Kinesis, Lambda, S3, Luigi)
- distributed computing platforms (e.g. MapReduce, EMR, Spark)
- data warehousing (e.g. Redshift)
- reporting systems (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- 2+ years Data Warehouse or BI management expertise
- Has a bias towards leading by example
Some Plusses Include
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- 3+ years of experience in leadership roles or engineering management.
- Hands on experience using Looker, SFDC, DJANGO,
- Experience working at a fast-growing start-up, preferably in SaaS.
- Familiar with K12 Education
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.