Squarespace is looking for an experienced employment attorney to join our Legal team. As a key part of our team, you will assist in supporting the legal needs of our People (HR) team & other internal clients across all locations & departments. Squarespaces growing workforce includes employees in our offices in New York, Ireland & Portland & several other U.S. states, & is expanding both in the United States & globally.
You will report into our Assistant General Counsel & is based in our New York City headquarters.
- Work with the People team & managers of other departments on a variety of employment matters, including employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence, accommodations, wage & hour & FLSA exemption, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, internal investigations & litigation
- Draft & maintain policies & procedures for employment matters, including the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct & performance improvement plans
- Prepare & manage all employment-related agreements, including agreements relating to offers of employment, separation & recruiting
- Advise on diversity & inclusion programs, employee resource group issues, employee privacy, employee communications & employee events
- Contribute to M&A employment & benefits matters, including diligence, offer documents & integration activities
- Oversee other areas of legal support for the People team, including immigration, legally required employee trainings & benefits (including ERISA plans)
- Efficiently leverage & manage outside employment counsel where necessary
- Provide support on a variety of non-employment topics depending candidates background & interest, for example, general litigation & commercial contracts
- A minimum of 6 years of employment law experience; a combination of law firm & in-house tech experience is preferred
- Experience with executive compensation matters is a plus
- Experience with sales commissions arrangements is a plus
- Experience managing & leading diverse groups of stakeholders & employment matters
- Flexibility & creativity in solving problems & dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal, written & oral communication skills, & strong business judgment
- Organized & diligent with a high attention to detail & a commitment to operational execution
- Interest in learning new areas of law & business
- Admitted to & in good standing with at least one state bar
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.