About this Role
Join the team at Fandom & work with great people (fans! Star Wars, Twin Peaks, RPG games). As a Senior Software Engineer working on our data systems, you will help us to determine what 300M+ users are passionate about by contributing to the design & development of a real-time digital profile. The digital profiles that you help create will serve as the foundation for data science-driven user personas & personalized recommendations across the platform, at scale, & in real-time. You will have an opportunity to drive the development of components of the system from start to finish.
You will also help us to determine what 32M+ user-created pages are focused on, how they connect to the Fandom community they belong to, as well as the other pages of the 400k+ communities in our network. With this knowledge, you will enable Fandom to build the rich digital profiles mentioned above to build deeper & more engaging experiences for our users.
What does a typical day look like for a senior engineer? On some days youll be writing code to ingest data from 3rd party sources & connect that to our internal data stores. On others, youll be working on high throughput data ingestion pipelines to enable real-time digital profiles. You might also find yourself integrating & testing experimental data science code written in Python into production systems operating at scale. You will also be actively involved in sharing your knowledge through documentation, pull requests, & informal training sessions. And finally, youll often find yourself collaborating with our internal operations team to finetune a production system running at scale.
- Take ownership of significant components of distributed systems with limited supervision
- Actively contribute to the tactical planning for your team
- Help to enrich Fandoms structured data with internal & external data sources
- Extend & maintain scalable systems written in Java, Python, Go, & PHP
- Write (Not only) SQL queries that run production, user-facing systems, or extract data from our data warehouse
- Delivers clean, maintainable, well-structured, well-tested, well-performing & documented code
- Help to integrate experimental data science concepts into production systems operating at scale
- Share knowledge through documentation, pull request comments, & mentoring
- Develop & refactor software with an emphasis on quality, simplicity, & maintainability
- Work effectively with a globally distributed team
- Learn new technologies, patterns, & processes as needed
- Ensure a high level of quality in your deliverables
- Collaborate with your team to solve technical issues
- Deepen your technical knowledge in one or more areas of expertise
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- 3-5+ years of experience in software engineering
- Proficiency in Java or Go
- Experience designing & implementing object-oriented systems
- Relational database design & SQL experience
- A solid understanding of RESTful API, architectures, design, & implementation
- Track record of delivering high-quality technical solutions
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Training based on business needs
- Flexible working hours
- Open, energetic & fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as wellness programs, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, & celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or whats buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge & carefully curated & fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users & encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & its grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, & deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, & the work we do.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Police Code, Article 49