At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
An engineering role at Cloudflare provides an opportunity address some big challenges, at scale. We believe that with our talented team, we can solve some of the biggest security, reliability & performance problems facing the Internet. Just how big?
- We have in excess of 15 Terabits of network transit capacity
- We process 10% of the worlds Internet traffic
- We operate 153 Points-of-presence around the world
- We serve more traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million internet users
- Every day, up to 20,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
We are looking for talented Systems Reliability Engineers to build & operate the platform which makes Cloudflare customers place their trust in us. Our SREs come from a variety of technical backgrounds & have built up their knowledge working in different environments. But the common factors across all of our reliability-focused engineers include a passion for automation, scalability, & operational excellence. Our SRE teams monitor our network in a follow the sun approach with offices in Singapore, London, & San Francisco.
We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly & focused on building an extraordinary company. This is a superb opportunity to join a high-performing team & scale our high-growth network as Cloudflares business grows. You will build tools to constantly improve availability, performance, uptime & response times. You will nurture a passion for an automate everything approach that makes systems failure-resistant & ready-to-scale.
Cloudflare SREs work in one of these 4 teams:
- Core Operations
- Edge Operations
- Core Platform
- Edge Platform
The Operations teams focus on the immediate state & functionality of the Cloudflare platform around the world, leveraging an array of monitoring, alerting & diagnostics tools. The Platform teams focus on developing & enhancing the Cloudflare platform & its capabilities. The Platform & Operations team are both devops teams, responsible for reliability engineering across a wide portfolio of applications & services, leveraging developer & operator patterns. Many of our SREs have had the opportunity to work at multiple offices on interim & long-term project assignments. The ideal SRE candidate has a passionate curiosity about how the Internet fundamentally works & has a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux & TLS along with strong coding ability in Bash, Python or Go. We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience & we welcome strong junior applicants.
- Linux systems administration experience
- 3 years of relevant Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Intermediate level software development skills in Python, Go or SQL
- Strong skills in network services, including DNS, TLS/SSL & HTTP
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls, IPv6
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with the Linux kernel & Linux software packaging
- Performance analysis & debugging with tools like perf, sar, strace, dtrace
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Load balancing & reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Key/Value stores (Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Internetworking & BGP
- Experience with network programming in C, C++ or Go
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong tooling & automations development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking & routing experience
Some tools that we use
- Mesos / Marathon
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94115.