The Director, Social Strategy will oversee social strategy across the First Look Media brands (Topic Studios, Topic.com, The Nib, The Intercept, Field of Vision, Press Freedom Defense Fund). The ideal team member will have an insatiable curiosity for audience behaviors & engagement, & expert knowledge of the social & emerging media landscape.
- Oversee & develop the implementation of the social strategy across all the First Look Media brands, ensuring it aligns with our business goals, voice, & individual brand sensibilities to maximize engagement & grow the FLM digital footprint.
- Maintain an understanding of who our audiences are on social, the differences by platform & brand, & develop strategies to grow & deepen our relationship with those audiences.
- Manage the inventory across social platforms & determine the appropriate levels of support considering overall business priorities & needs in alignment with each brands social team.
- Collaborate with each brands social team to ideate native social content in support of brand vertical priorities.
- Ensure that all social campaigns are optimized & structured based on goals & KPIs.
- Participate in paid media budget allocation & boosting strategy.
- Lead the testing strategy with the goal of constant iteration & optimization.
- Work closely with the FLM Analytics team to understand & optimize performance.
- Keep up to date on the latest media, social trends, & tools & incorporate these into FLMs social strategy; regularly provide internal teams with updated best practices & recommendations.
- Combine data & creative intuition to create social strategies & content recommendations that will attract & engage fans, build communities & drive growth.
Background & Qualifications:
- 7-10 years experience at a media company or agency with a focus on social strategy/marketing optimization & planning.
- Proven track record of building social audience funnels, ideally with driving subscriptions on premium video services.
- Deep knowledge of social platforms & best practices & an endless passion for innovation & experimentation in the social space.
- Experience using social tools such as Social Flow, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Crown Tangle, Tubular, etc.
- Expertise in organic & paid social strategies & tactics on FB, IG, TW, YT, Reddit, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate information & ideas, both written & verbally.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish strong working relationships with a variety of people across different disciplines.
- Adept at interpreting data & shaping it into actionable strategies & recommendations.
- Comfortable managing & collaborating with external agencies
- Strong writing / copy creation skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to self-manage & prioritize work appropriately
- Experience in a start-up environment a plus
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.